Transmission problem?

vissine

Hi, last few days, when I started up my car, I heard the noise sound like from the transmission area, but the car worked fine. I didn't realize that was a warning sign. Today, when I drove it the RPM was up to 3000 but the car didn't move as it should, It felt like slipping. Turn off the engine and started up again, then I could drive up to 40 mph with 2nd gear. A few years back, I had  a similar problem and it was a dirty filter and worked after I changed the fluid. Since it's been just 10k from my previous flush, I think clogging up filter now does not make sense. Do you have any experience about this? I do not think the fluid is low since it covers the hot mark when the engine is at hot. I searched for transmission pump but couldn't find anything. Nearest dealership is about 2 hours away so taking it there is out of option. Do you think AAMCO can handle Lexus LS400? Can Toyota dealer repair it? For Lexus transmission, I do not like to take it to Mr. "fix any car" mechanic

Best i would suggest is pulling out the OBD codes, and see if it helps, i am sure you will be pointed in the right direction,

Lexus dealer most probably would suggest just to simply replace the transmission, that's the best a dealer can do

• 2 weeks later...

What year car?  And if the transmission was serviced along time ago and the wrong fluid was used now its showing up the not using the correct fluid. There is no one size fits all automatic transmission fluid when it comes to Lexus and Mercedes Benz.  Its just not worth the experiment to use the wrong stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

What year car?  And if the transmission was serviced along time ago and the wrong fluid was used now its showing up the not using the correct fluid. There is no one size fits all automatic transmission fluid when it comes to Lexus and Mercedes Benz.  Its just not worth the experiment to use the wrong stuff.

What year of my car? (it is on my info). I always use Toyota Type T-IV and never experienced with wrong stuff yet.

Sorry didn't notice the year before.  Any transmission shop will not spend the time to trouble shoot the problem, well maybe one out of 100 or so would, most of them

just immediately sell an overhaul or rebuild, it makes more money than just a quick fix does. And some sneaky ones will sell the rebuild and just do the quick fix.

Its difficult to find honest anything automotive fix it places.  So its worth trying to change the fluid and at the same time check the solenoids, use a new screen and put the correct amount of fluid in.  I'd check continuity of the solenoids and they could be quick triggered with power and also the wires as well as the selector switch should be checked.

8 hours ago, Exhaustgases said:

Sorry didn't notice the year before.  Any transmission shop will not spend the time to trouble shoot the problem, well maybe one out of 100 or so would, most of them

just immediately sell an overhaul or rebuild, it makes more money than just a quick fix does. And some sneaky ones will sell the rebuild and just do the quick fix.

Its difficult to find honest anything automotive fix it places.  So its worth trying to change the fluid and at the same time check the solenoids, use a new screen and put the correct amount of fluid in.  I'd check continuity of the solenoids and they could be quick triggered with power and also the wires as well as the selector switch should be checked.

Do you have any manual that shows how to check if the solenoid is good? I guest either short (0 ohm) or open is bad? That's interesting. I will do some experiments with the solenoids next time I drop the trans pan. Thanks!

About my trans problem, it works after I change fluid & filter again. I think it will get clogged again soon.

On 9/20/2017 at 5:04 AM, vissine said:

Do you have any manual that shows how to check if the solenoid is good? I guest either short (0 ohm) or open is bad? That's interesting. I will do some experiments with the solenoids next time I drop the trans pan. Thanks!

About my trans problem, it works after I change fluid & filter again. I think it will get clogged again soon.

From my experience with AW transmissions (most recently in a Saab) 12-13 ohms for solenoids will be in the ballpark. I don't have the manual download for '96, so I can't help further. Sorry.

Paul

On 8/26/2017 at 12:33 AM, Exhaustgases said:

I have same problem too in my Lexus  I don't know which transmission fluid should be correct  for my car  because of transmission problems any  time it goes forward only and and some time reverse only 

• 11 months later...

I just want to follow up this thread. There was nothing wrong with the transmission. I spent time to change/flush the transmission fluid. It is now running so smooth and quiet.

• 2 years later...