1998 Lexus LS 400- Serpentince Drive Belt replacement

M.Yasir

Hi all

Posting after a long time

3 days back i was driving my car to a restaurant during my lunch break and suddenly power steering became hard and battery symbol popped up, i was luck enough that i was very near to my workplace,

I parked my car, open the hood and surprise the drive belt was broken apart into pieces and tangled with the fan shaft, what to say, i was hearing squeaking noise from the belt but i took it lightly, lesson learned that the if there is noise from the belt dont wait replace!

Anyway i went to the nearest auto parts shop and purchased the belt and took up the challenge that i will do it myself, first big task was to remove all the broken pieces from the pulleys and the fan shaft which took quite an effort and lots of patience, since the belt contains metal strips so you have to be patient, untangle all the pieces slowly and make your way through

Ok now everything was clear but i had no clue what is the procedure to install the belt, i came back to my workplace downloaded some pictures and then went again to my car, i also noticed that under the hood towards the left of the grill, there is a diagram of the drive belt

Luckily also i had gloves with me, trust me gloves do help a lot!, i started to insert the belt through the pulleys starting from left i.e. Power steering pulley, alternator, likewise and got stock on AC compressor since the belt was not big enough

I tried in many ways i.e. starting from AC compressor and working towards power steering pulley again belt short and very tight you cannot stretch it that easily, after 1 hour i almost gave up

Then i thought ok i will leave the center pulley and leave it for the last, i started from the AC compressor worked through power steering pulley while missing the center pulley so that i can have more belt with me but still it was short and very tight to stretch but somehow i just managed to wrap it through the power steering pulley

Now the hardest part left, to stretch the belt to put it on the center pulley, let me tell you have to be hercules/hulk to do that in 3rd attempt i was able to manage that much power to pull it up to the center pulley and done! phew

I am attaching an illustrative diagram which worked for me along with a photo of the temperature which we have here, you can just imagine

Note: no tools are required to do this job (in case your belt is broken)

5985b82d03331_1998LS400-DriveBeltinstallation.jpg.77b0a61daaa1a5485144d1cd698ea48d.jpg

1998 LS 400- Temp.jpg

I believe there is a belt tensioner that needs to be positioned a certain way, to allow the new belt to seat on. Might need to use  a long ratchet with a 14mm to move the tensioner...

I researched the internet, it appears that the tensioner is automatic, you need to use a socket wrench counter clockwise only to take the belt off,

In my case the belt was broken so there was no point moving the tensioner, i just hope that what i did will keep the things working

I did it many times and it quite easy. The only force I use is to turn that tensioner with right hand and then align the belt with your left hand. Whatever you do, don't lose control your right hand.

• 1 month later...

Yes.  It is very easy when you know how it is done. Vissine is right.  It is a very good idea to rotate and feel all the belt wheels for rough bearings.

sounding dry or extra play or rough means you should fix it. I had two of those on the serpentine when I it. Mine could be fixed by pressing in new 10$ bearings.