Cracked Windshield (RearView Mirror)

Hi, first time poster, but have an interesting problem so figured I'd ask for suggestions. I posted the same thing on clublexus.com as well, but wanted opinions from various sources...

So the wife and I got a new Lexus Nx200T 4 months ago. We commute together and switch driving the car often. I am 6' and she's 5' 2", so we adjust the rear view mirror all the time. And the last time, the wife drove, while adjusting the mirror, it cracked the windshield where the mirror is attached to the windshield. I don't know how or why, but maybe someone has a better idea than me. Went to the dealer, and they said this is not covered by the warranty cause it's not a defect but some external disturbance that caused the crack. But all we were doing is adjusting the rear view mirror, so I don't know how that force can possibly crack the windshield... We contacted the Lexus Corp and they said since the service dept said it's not covered, they can't do anything (if they just take the service's word for it, what use are they!??!) The service dept quoted the repair for the windshield to be 1.5k, but I am thinking it will def end up being 2k with all the stupid crap they add on, BUT they said the rearview mirror can be re-used since it's not damaged. So my question is if the rearview mirror is perfectly fine, but the windshield where the rearview mirror is attached to is cracked... how can whatever external force they mention crack the windshield (which should be way more durable than the plastic rearview mirror) and not leave any damage on the rear view mirror?? 

Anyone has any advice on this? 
Thanks!

That sounds very suspicious as glass is very tough and shouldn't be damaged just by adjusting a mirror.

However, you may glass cover on your insurance policy?  worth checking and if so it could be replaced under the insurance for the cost of the excess

That's what I thought too, why is the glass damaged and the mirror perfectly intact and not be a defect!??!

I have to check with my insurance. Still trying to get 2nd opinion to see if they can warranty cover it...

• 4 years later...

So feel your pain and wondering how your situation ended up.  We just had this happen with a 2010 Lexus.  The rearview mirror popped off and the adhesive (I assume) brought a mound of glass with it; whole windshield needed to be replaced.  Definitely too late to be under warranty, but the windshield is not a cheap replacement on these cars!

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

On 7/20/2022 at 3:26 AM, Lori22 said:

We just had this happen with a 2010 Lexus.  The rearview mirror popped off and the adhesive (I assume) brought a mound of glass with it; whole windshield needed to be replaced. 

It may well have detached from the windscreen previously and secured back on using ordinary glue (such as SuperGlue or similar) which expands or contracts (can never remember) when it hardens.
This will either shatter the glass (if toughened glass) if laminated glass it will crack which sounds like this is what has happened in your case.

The is proper 'Glass Glue' or self-adhesive patches that should be used to reattached rear view mirrors or aerials, etc

Also, your insurance policy may have your windshield replaced for a deductible amount. I think my policy has a $100 deductible amount.