Timing belt

softy

I recently bought a used 02 RX300. My question is, how do you find the last time a belt was replaced.  Everything I hear is about the time to replace, about 90 thou.

Basically, you don't take chances because if the belt goes it could wreck the engine. If you have no service records or paperwork to specifically say that the belt has been done, then assume that it hasn't and get it done ASAP because the intervals are 100k miles OR 10 years, whichever comes first.

Also get the timing belt idler/tensioner and the water pump done at the same time because the water pump (certainly on my 2005 RX300) is in the same place as the timing belt. The most expensive part of the job is the labour charges so it makes sense to do the pump at the same time which may add about £50 to the job, rather than have to pay about £300 if you did it later.

The belt can go easily to 125k miles, but 90k is the mark.  Totally agree have the water pump and idlers replaced.  The normal place to find replacement is a sticker on the front cam cover facing the top so you can see it.  If no sticker, than it may not have been done.  YOu can also set up a account with Vin # on MYLEXUS.  Sometimes there are maintenance entries if they had service done at LEXUS dealership.

• Like 1

The belt can go easily to 125k miles, but 90k is the mark.  Totally agree have the water pump and idlers replaced.  The normal place to find replacement is a sticker on the front cam cover facing the top so you can see it.  If no sticker, than it may not have been done. 

Or it may not have been done at a Lexus dealer - it may have been done at an independent place that doesn't attach a sticker. Like I said though, if you have no concrete proof that it HAS been done, then assume that it HASN'T and get it done now. If it lets go and wrecks the engine, that puts the whole car darn near beyond economic repair, which is just not worth the risk IMHO.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/28/2017 at 7:35 AM, sorcerer said:

Basically, you don't take chances because if the belt goes it could wreck the engine. If you have no service records or paperwork to specifically say that the belt has been done, then assume that it hasn't and get it done ASAP because the intervals are 100k miles OR 10 years, whichever comes first.

Also get the timing belt idler/tensioner and the water pump done at the same time because the water pump (certainly on my 2005 RX300) is in the same place as the timing belt. The most expensive part of the job is the labour charges so it makes sense to do the pump at the same time which may add about £50 to the job, rather than have to pay about £300 if you did it later.

Not an expert here but I believe that the RX300 does NOT have an interference engine meaning the engine will not swallow valves, ruin heads, etc if the timing belt fails but you will need to be towed because the engine will stop running immediately. It won't run with a broken timing belt but it shouldn't cause major damage like it would with an interference engine.

Please correct me if needed!