Coil Springs Replacement

ricco750

I'm trying to find some OE springs for my '99 RX AWD, but other than getting them from Lexus at a hefty price, I can't find anything on the web.  Not even MOOG makes them.  I found the H&R lowering springs, but don't really want the car any lower,  I read somewhere that RAV4 springs were identical, but don't know the year, or if that's true.  I'm doing a major R/R on my suspension and steering at a good shop, and my mechanic suggested new springs as well.  The springs will be hosting new KYB's. I have also read that some people think that if the car has not towed heavy loads, the springs should be OK.  Does anyone have any information about the whereabouts of OE springs?

Well, I ended up having to buy them from Lexus, to the tune of about $700 before tax.  Now I'm just waiting for the install appointment at my favorite shop for a complete replacement of my steering and suspension components.  Between Lexus and RockAuto, I've got about two grand in parts on my living room floor.  

• 2 years later...
On 7/15/2017 at 3:16 PM, ricco750 said:

I'm trying to find some OE springs for my '99 RX AWD, but other than getting them from Lexus at a hefty price, I can't find anything on the web.  Not even MOOG makes them.  I found the H&R lowering springs, but don't really want the car any lower,  I read somewhere that RAV4 springs were identical, but don't know the year, or if that's true.  I'm doing a major R/R on my suspension and steering at a good shop, and my mechanic suggested new springs as well.  The springs will be hosting new KYB's. I have also read that some people think that if the car has not towed heavy loads, the springs should be OK.  Does anyone have any information about the whereabouts of OE springs?

Ricco, did you go with the H&R lowering springs?  I need rear struts and was quoted after-market assembly with springs ($770) and OEM struts only ($1700)... boy the OEM is so much more!  I was actually considering getting the after-market struts for front and rear and getting the H&R lowering springs.   Might you have any thoughts on that plan?  And I'm getting new tires in two days (albeit through the Goodyear mileage warranty, so getting 40% off replacement set.)  But wondering if the car worth spending $3000 for new struts/springs/tires (well, tires a must!)… it's got 199K miles on it and no major repairs except for $400 in last six months for leaking transaxle cover.

I went with the Lexus OEM springs and KYB struts.  I also replaced Control Arms, Inner and Outer Tie Rod Ends, Ball Joints, and Stabilizer Sway Bar End Links.  Pretty much the entire suspension.  I could not be more pleased with the change in handling and ride.  Corners much better, very little dive in a tight fast turn, and the ride is just a tad bit firmer.  The "worth" is a judgment call...I had a new short block in 2009, and the interior and exterior look like a car that is just a few years old.  Compared to the cost of a new or newer RX, I think my money was well spent.  Plus, my RX also serves as a "hobby" for me, and the little stuff that comes up is interesting to fix.  For instance...and I had been waiting for this to happen...I looked out in the garage yesterday to see my radio antenna in the "up" position, signaling that a new antenna mast is needed.  Good luck with your endeavor.