Repairing Mark Levinson Rear Speaker

Anyone know best way to repair 2002 Lexus ES300 Rear Mark Levinson speaker - Heard Simply Speakers has a repair foam kit.

Just wondering how easy is it to remove original speaker and install this kit?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I've done some research.  Evidently the speaker is removed through the inside of the car.  The usual method of removing a rear deck speaker from the trunk does not work. The speaker needs to be removed through the inside of the car.  The problem was, the speaker has become unglued from the outer speaker frame and the cone vibrates against the speaker frame, especially in the bass range.  At first I wanted to fix it, but all the directions on the internet involved removing the speaker and an involved process of re-gluing the speaker cone to the speaker frame.  I asked myself; "Is saving an old speaker really worth the effort?  If I was going to remove the speaker anyway, why not just replace it?  Then I thought about silicone caulk.  Couldn't I just make the repair with silicone caulk without removing the speaker?"  I removed the cover and put a bead of silicone around the edge of the speaker cone right where it joins the speaker frame.  OK. I'm bragging a little bit.  The cheap and dirty fix worked great.  I suppose I lost some frequency response, but I  can't discern a difference.  All I know is I fixed it in less than half an hour and it sounds fine.  I put the cover back on and no one is the wiser.

• Like 1