Max- New Member

LS Max

I recently purchased a '00 LS400.  It is my first Lexus and I am very happy with it, overall.  As with any 17yo car, it needs a little work.  I have used similar forums for experienced advice when working on other cars I have had and I hope that this will be as useful and informative.

The main issue I am having now is a clunk/rattle from the front end going over uneven pavement and occasionally under braking.  It drives straight and only has a slight steering wheel vibration around 60mph.  Once in a while I hear a pop when turning at low speed.  In addition to help with diagnosing this noise, I would appreciate some tips on which aftermarket suspension components I should use for increased performance with little compromised comfort.  Are there recommended configurations for suspension upgrades?  For example, in the BMW world H&R race springs are frequently combined with Koni adjustable shocks.

Additionally, there is a persistent whine from the power steering pump.  The fluid looked good but a little low when I bought it.  I topped it off with ATF and some Lucas transmission additive.  I guess the pump may just be wearing out but it may also be possible that this is a problem another member has experienced that has a different/cheaper fix.

I have no overhead cab lighting when the doors are opened or when the switch is engaged.

The LCD on the clock/radio controls is going out.  If anyone knows where to buy a used one for cheap, the details would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to any that are able to provide advice.  I look forward to getting enough experience with this car to pay it forward in the future.

Max

These are all common problems with the LS.

The clunk/rattle could be your strut rod bushings or the ball joints.

You can get coilovers or do spring shock combo but you'll get more answers if you google ls 400 suspension upgrades.

Make sure that the power steering pump is not leaking onto the alternator. If it is you can buy the rebuild kit which is cheap. 

As for the lighting check the fuses and go from there. Electrical problems are the worst.

There are plenty of ppl that fix the lcd, there are DIYs for all of these if you just google.