2GR-FE Valve Taping While Warm

Hi all,

I am new to the form but I am very concerned with my 2007 Lexus RX350 I just purchased. It has 35,000 miles on it and was 1 owner by an older lady. Jumping right in the engine taps while idling or accelerating after it has warmed up. I didn't notice the noise until after I bought it. She had regular oil changes with conventional oil, and she apparently used 87 gas. When I got it, I filled it up with 91, changed the oil with Mobil 1 5w-30, changed the air filter, and put in fuel treatment since the car had been sitting for so long. I have burned 1 tank of 91 with fuel treatment, and just added Sea Foam to the next tank. I have driven it about 200 miles. It taps real bad when its cold but gets quiet. I can still notice it while accelerating but not as much or at all when idling.

My questions are: Did the old lady permanently damage the motor with 87 gas? Does using synthetic oil cause this when switching from conventional? Will the noise go away?

Thanks!

I have the same car, bought in 2009, with 18,000 miles on it. Currently it is close to 100,000 miles. It still has that light tapping noise when cold, but it does go away when warmed up. I asked the dealer a while back and the response was that it is not the valves but rather the fuel injectors. Not so sure about that, but it has not become worse over these many years and miles. The oil, whether conventional or synthetic, does not seem to make any difference at all.  I have been using conventional 5W-30 all along, changed at 5K intervals, and the engine is perfect, with the oil surprising clean at the end of the interval.

Now regarding the gasoline octane. The car REQUIRES minimum 91 grade. When I bought it, the dealer said I could use 87. Well, under light load, it worked OK, but the moment I hit a hill, or accelerated hard, the engine pinged like crazy and the entire front end shook wildly. Checking the manual afterwards, it said very clearly not to use any gas under 91, unless in an emergency! Most likely, the previous owner drove the car very lightly so she may have not noted the poor behavior during more realistic driving, but at the same time, it is very unlikely she permanently damaged it. So just use 91 or 93 octane and you will enjoy the car for a long time.

I also drive that vehicle and notice the tapping noise. Don't believe it's fuel injectors. Timing chain comes to mind, but I don't know.  As for fuel I use 89 mid grade gas of a major brand and have none of the mentioned ills. I think there is a little less power, however if the computer is operating properly the engine should compensate for lower octane gas and not ping.

Hi guys,

The fuel injectors making noise is probably the correct answer. Around the 2007 - 2011 period, Owners complained about a similar sound but it was caused by "Piston Slap:. For some reason the manufacturing or engineering design was off.  Like your noise, the problem went away as the engine warmed up which is the opposite of your problem.

Sorry I can't offer anything more helpful. You might find more information of use by doing a search of our data base.

Paul

One concern I'd have if buying from a retired, elderly person is oil sludge. Many older folks do not drive their cars long enough to fully vaporize moisture that can accumulate in air spaces and oil. This may be less of a problem with synthetic oil but I know that it is a common problem, given a combination of short trips and oil change intervals that are based on miles driven. Dropping the oil pan should reveal whether this is the case or not.

Thank you all for your help. As for the noise. I have had a 2007 Camry V6 70,000 miles with 2GR-FE and it had valve slap on start up but then went away. I also had a 2006 Avalon V6 with 95,000 miles with 2GR-FE which also had valve slap on start up and then went away. This particular Lexus had a noise on start up went away but there is still a lingering sound from after it is warmed up. I have changed the oil twice since I got it with Mobil 1 (running the first change ~600 miles). I have also taken it on two 3 hour road trips. I can upload the sound it makes when I get home.

PJ8708: I am concerned that it might be piston slap. Do you think the dealer cover the cost of engine repair with the low miles that it has? What should I look into? Just drive it until it blows?

RX400h: I don't think it is an oil sludge problem. She was my neighbor and lives ~18 miles from town. I have checked the positive ventilation crack case valve and did not notice anything.