trailer hitch wiring

I bought a lovely Curt trailer hitch last week from etrailer.com for a great price of $126.58 and free shipping. It is very close in design and appearance to the now discontinued and overprices OEM hitch.

Now I need to wire it in to accept my 4-wire flat connector trailer.

I need recommendations on what to buy, preferably not from Lexus, to get the job done plus and advice on how to do the wiring and connect to my buggy. I do not have a towing package and my RX400h is front wheel drive.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Why not buy your trailer light harness from etrailer?  https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2007_Lexus_RX+400h.htm

I've installed several "flat-4" trailer light harnesses I bought from etrailer.  They always come with written instructions and some have installation instructions on YouTube.  I'm partial to Curt products having bought hitches and harnesses from Curt and other companies.

What are you towing?  IIRC, the towing capacity of the hybrid RX isn't much even with the tow prep package.

Thanks, I did see the Curt package. I just wondered if it was overkill.

I intend to tow a 12 foot trailer with light loads. 

Thanks, I did see the Curt package. I just wondered if it was overkill.

I intend to tow a 12 foot trailer with light loads. 

Those trailer light harnesses are definitely not overkill.  The old style super cheap  harnesses that were powered directly by the rear vehicle lights are often not compatible with modern vehicles.  You need a harness that has a converter box and which is powered by the vehicle battery or by an electrical terminal on the vehicle that is specifically designed to power trailer lights. 

Thanks again. I ordered and in fact have already received the Curt package. As with their other products it looks great. I will report back later when I have it all installed and working.

Great group.

• 1 month later...

I'm back to beg for more advice from you smart people. I now have the Curt wiring kit (actually 2 kits) and am ready to proceed with the trailer hitch installation. But the kits have wiring diagrams showing to pick up power at the battery which is ridiculous. Can anyone tell me where to pick up power/wiring in the rear of my 2007 RX400h?

Or best if I had a Lexus wiring diagram if available?