ACCURATE REPAIR AMOUNT

I am a owner of a 1991 Lexus and I recently hydroplane off the road. I love my car to pieces. The first mechanic told me there was absolutely anything he could do because he thought I had damaged my transmission or engine bc my car would not drive, but the gear shift wasn't stuck. My car will crank but I damaged my upper & lower oil pan and my rear differential. I have been quoted some pretty high prices almost as high as I paid for the car. I really want my baby back up & running and I came here to see if this a mechanical job that is costly? Should I just consider getting something else 馃様 Pls respond.聽聽

Hi Lauren

Not sure what the answer is really but if it were me repairing it, I would fit used parts and see if it all functions correctly after that.

Not too much to lose then and could still sell the car as a fixer or for parts to recoup some money back.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers 聽Trevor

If you damaged the upper oil pan your probably going to need a used engine. Then there's the cost to install it. The engine could cost anywhere from $500 to $2000. A transmission $500 to $1000.聽The differential probably about $300. You could buy another used LS for what all this would cost you IF your mechanic knows what they are talking about. I'm moving this thread over to the LS forum.

The mechanicals is the easy stuff, if the body is ruined at all it makes fixing it a worthless money pit. If the body is perfect no dents and original perfect paint job then its worth fixing it. If the under side is messed up real bad kinda not worth the fixing either. Engines, transmissions, rear ends all wrecking yard items. And in the correct yard you could find them all for under meaning engine trans, rear end all together for under 1000. or just buy a 500 parts car and you got even more parts.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a owner of a 1991 Lexus and I recently hydroplane off the road. I love my car to pieces. The first mechanic told me there was absolutely anything he could do because he thought I had damaged my transmission or engine bc my car would not drive, but the gear shift wasn't stuck. My car will crank but I damaged my upper & lower oil pan and my rear differential. I have been quoted some pretty high prices almost as high as I paid for the car. I really want my baby back up & running and I came here to see if this a mechanical job that is costly? Should I just consider getting something else 馃様 Pls respond.聽聽

for聽me,聽consider getting something else... your going to spend a lot of money and IT will never be the same. go get another one..

motor, tranny, rear end and put them with your old ECM.... it aint the same.. you will be sorry.