Air flow “control boxes” failed, now what?

momo2000

I have a 2003 with 215K miles on it.  Had it since 90K, great truck! 

Part I: 3-4 years ago the (what I call) air flow control boxes (one under each side driver/pass, control which vents the air flows out of) started making noise.  They still worked, but would pretty much make time almost all the time the car was running.  Just a clunking, chirping, clicking every few seconds, somewhat rhythmic.   Again, everything worked, just made noise.  Since I am the only driver, and am alone 95% of the time in the truck, and play the radio ;), I never worried about it, just called them “my pet squirrels”.  I spoke to my “non-dealer-lexus-only” mechanic that I’ve been taking it to since I got it and said the dash would have to come off to fix it, and it was a big price tag so I have lived with it.

Part II:  Then 18-ish months ago I got the recall notice about the cracked dash and went in to get on “the list” at the dealership (Dec 2015).  The cracked dash did bother me much, but I though, great, when they take the dash off for the repair, I’ll pay the dealer whatever their fee is to change the air flow control boxes that that time.  What a great and fortunate plan!

Part III:  I am still waiting to get “my turn” to get the dash fixed, but about a month ago, the air flow control boxes stopped making noise, but now I think they are stuck in one position.  Here is the condition that they are now it.  I get A/C out the vents on the passenger side, but on the driver’s side, it blows HEAT.  I close the vents, but I some still comes through, and I some is coming through the floor vent.  After another 85+ degree day in Atlanta, I am motivated to find a solution.

QUESTIONS:  has anyone ever seen this issue?  Is there any way to manually operate these “air flow control boxes” so I can put it in the “A/C flow mode” for the summer??  Any other ideas to keep me a bit cooler?