IS300 2008y. ML SPEAKER REPLACEMENT AND SIZES

Dear Forum Members,

Maybe this topic was discussed already, my ML subwoofer is blown up. I changed it with aftermarket sub. Then some of other speakers also start to work not properly.

Now my audio system is awful and i even don't want to listen music. I need your advices, is it good opinion to replace all speakers with aftermarket speakers?

If yes, which speaker brand do you advice as equal to ML sound quality? Also, i need to know the sizes of speakers and ohm.

I live in Azerbaijan, probably i have to get it by shipping.

by the way sorry for my english :)

Hi Magommed and welcome. Don't worry about your English, it's fine.

It is likely that your problem is not the speakers, but the amplifier and/or the crossover network. The speakers for the ML system are 4 ohms. You cannot replace a 4 ohm speaker with say a 8 ohm. That draws a lot more load on the amp and can hurt the head unit and/or amp.

You didn't say why you replaced the sub- woofer. Given the age of yours it can start to come lose from the outer ring. Also, some folks complain about bits of fabric and such rattling as the cone moves up and down. I would strongly urge you to have your amp checked out and not to use it until you do.

United Radio in New York City is an excellent source for parts and tech help. The ML amp from that date and up til about 2011, was famous for failure. Your Lexus dealer will be over the moon in price. I think you would get a better deal using a well known stereo shop.

Let us know how things are going.

Paul

6 hours ago, pj8708 said:

Hi Magommed and welcome. Don't worry about your English, it's fine.

It is likely that your problem is not the speakers, but the amplifier and/or the crossover network. The speakers for the ML system are 4 ohms. You cannot replace a 4 ohm speaker with say a 8 ohm. That draws a lot more load on the amp and can hurt the head unit and/or amp.

You didn't say why you replaced the sub- woofer. Given the age of yours it can start to come lose from the outer ring. Also, some folks complain about bits of fabric and such rattling as the cone moves up and down. I would strongly urge you to have your amp checked out and not to use it until you do.

United Radio in New York City is an excellent source for parts and tech help. The ML amp from that date and up til about 2011, was famous for failure. Your Lexus dealer will be over the moon in price. I think you would get a better deal using a well known stereo shop.

Let us know how things are going.

Paul

Dear Paul :) thank you very much for your detailed response)) The problem started like this: first my subwoofer was rattling as the cone moved up and down, i listen it 2-3 days like that, then subwoofer stopped to work. LEXUS IS(2nd gen.) ML SUBWOOFER is famous for failure as i read many texts about this in forums. I got it fixed it, put it back, after 20 min again stopped to work. Also around of cone was ripped. I thought its meaningless to repair it again. I put it there aftermarket sub ( we cut the steel to fit subwoofers lower side ). This sub is also was rattling sometimes(especially in bass songs) After 4-5 months front center dash speaker started to make noise(rustle), i replaced it with Lexus speaker (not ML audio system). Again after 6 months rear speaker(which is near to sub) start to make noise like dash speaker. So, in conclusion i think my speakers lifetime is finishing and i want to solve this problem fully. I don't know how to do;  to repair Lexus speakers or to change all of them with other good aftermarket speakers.

When i bought car(second hand) there was a problem in ML amplifier. We fixed it. i don't think amplifier has problem now. But maybe as you say the problem is amp or crossover network(except sub). I will check it. 

By the way i am not living in USA :) thats why i have to order speakers from internet. I need to know the size of speakers, ohm and etc..)

Well, I strongly doubt your problem is your speakers. Many Lexus cars have more miles than yours and have good, working speakers. With your speaker net work just failing  at random it has to be something in the head unit or amplifier.

Don't put any more money into speakers. Check with you local Lexus dealer and see if they can at least diagnosis the problem and what it will cost.

The sub speaker is 8" inches, and the door speakers are 41/2" inches. The exact size of each speaker can change from model year, and interior lay out. If your  IS has the small round tweeter on the top of the door, are 1"inch .

Paul

• Like 1

I assume the sub would be 4 ohms as well. For a huge amount of Lexus Technical information, go to "TLS.com. This is the official Toyota website for Toyota-Lex-Scion.com and all technical information. You must join and a two day use is $15.

If you can't find it here you don't need it. LOL

Paul

• Like 1