RX 350 Battery Maintenance

wh2

My Lexus original replacement battery (part # 0054-MF24F-575) does not need maintenance according to service advisor. Unlike the original unit which had several screw-type caps, this battery has 2 solid rectangular shaped caps which cover the electrolyte ports. Is this truly a maintenance-free feature? They don't seem easy to lift off, and I don't want to damage the battery by prying them up....but I'm a little skeptical that it never needs to have fluid level checked, etc. Any thoughts or experience with this or other "maintenance-free" batteries. Thanks in advance.

Maintenance Free batteries are genuinely that and don't require any maintenance of any description internally, with the exception of keeping the terminals clean and coated with an anti-corrosion spray grease.

The battery should have an internal hydrometer to gauge the condition of the cells and electrolyte.  Green is good, amber or white is charge needed and black is game over.