RX Transmissions AWD 4WD FWD

deadbolt

I see many people discussing the RX referring to theirs as an AWD. So my question for you guys is: what transmissions were offered on this car?  I have a Canadian model and it is a Four Wheel Drive. There is a transfer case which has unique fluid (80/90 gear oil) and is separate from the transmission but still attached to it.  In our market there were Front Wheel Drive and Four Wheel Drive versions offered.

Also on a similar note my RX service manual seems to be missing the topic of changing the fluid in the transfer case.  If anyone has the service manual in PDF could you please see if there is a "DI" section.

Thanks for your help.

21 hours ago, deadbolt said:

I see many people discussing the RX referring to theirs as an AWD. So my question for you guys is: what transmissions were offered on this car?  I have a Canadian model and it is a Four Wheel Drive. There is a transfer case which has unique fluid (80/90 gear oil) and is separate from the transmission but still attached to it.  In our market there were Front Wheel Drive and Four Wheel Drive versions offered.

Also on a similar note my RX service manual seems to be missing the topic of changing the fluid in the transfer case.  If anyone has the service manual in PDF could you please see if there is a "DI" section.

Thanks for your help.

I am not sure as what do you mean by Canadian model. Afaik there are only 2 types of model: the Japanese version (JDM), and the one sold for the US market. Maybe it's differed by which side the car drives (RHD/LHD). As for me, even though I am living outside US/Europe, I have the standard JDM version without navigation and it is an All Wheel Drive (AWD). I also have that transfer case with that unique fluid.

Since you mentioned transmission, I would say mine is definitely U140F

We bought our car new in 2001 and it was sold as a 4WD. The owners manual states it is a 4DW. I did not see the transmission model number on the tags under the hood. Where can one find this information?

A quick google of the differences between 4WD and AWD mentions the inability to lock the front and rear axles which is a feature ours does have by engaging the snow button located on the shifter console. I was glad to have this feature as it got good use this past winter with heavy snow and  roads that were not plowed.

Extracted from the interwebs:
All-wheel drive is in some ways similar to the full-time 4WD system in that it also sends torque to all four wheels constantly. However, most modern AWD systems don't offer drivers the option to operate in two-wheel drive and, unlike the 4WD systems, the differential between the front and rear axles cannot be locked.Jan 25, 2017