1992 LS400 Road Noise

Spartan0536

Hello, I am now getting down to nitpicking issues as my sound system overhaul is about to come in. With this I have noticed considerable noise permeating from the front passenger side, and I have observed what seems to be the exterior rubber glass guide (I think that's what it's called) is jutting out from the slot, and I am wondering if this is what would cause the issue of excessive road/ambient noise?

I have checked the door seals on all 4 doors, the hood, and trunk, all seals were intact and not too brittle, especially for being 25 years old. I put Armor All rubber/plastic reconditioner on the seals and after a few days there is a marked improvement in suppleness and color.

I am wondering if this strip of rubber is really letting in all that extra noise (it would not surprise me) or are there other things that could be doing this that I am potentially missing. I can order the replacement part easily enough, and I will order replacements for all 4 doors, both interior and exterior as they are only $8-$10 each new.

I think the rubber seal if not positioned where it should be would definitely cause noise issues.

For what it costs, maybe replacing them would prove or disprove the theory but at least it would be a good conclusion.

I tried pushing the seal back in, it worked slightly but as soon as the window comes back up it gets pushed back out, I am definately going to need a replacement, I just can't seem to find the right part name for it, anyone know what the part name is from Lexus?

1 hour ago, sha4000 said:

A pic would be nice.

Apologies, as requested here are the pictures.... I am not sure what they are called.... My guess would be exterior window seals but I am not a mechanic....

20170324_190720.jpg

20170324_190736.jpg

That is called the front door weather strip assembly. Costs about $62. I've been thinking about changing mine. This part actually acts like a wiper to clean the water off the glass which mine does not do anymore since the rubber is dry and hard.58d6a23816f50_FRONTDOORWEATHERSTRIP.thumb.jpg.38497a0b0d7da8330684ac403e9d47b3.jpg

Thanks, this helps a lot...

Just to make sure, would this cause more road noise based on the pictures provided, I only ask again as my previous statement did not have the correct part name in it?

It most likely adds to it since the part is not sealed properly anymore not that I can say for sure. I've just learned to live with the road noise even though it's ANNOYING. And it mostly comes from the drivers door. It's an old car and even though all my door seals look good they CAN"T be doing their job after all these years.

• 2 months later...

This may be a bit late and you may have already resolved your noise issue. 

You may have a loose/ill-fitting weatherstrip around the top and sides of the window glass; however, if that were the case, you would hear a whistling noise that would be easily identifiable as the source of the noise. 

I would suggest checking your transmission mount; if it is worn, you will have some noise that would be hard to pinpoint as being due to the mount, but will blend in with other road noise.  Also, if your sun-roof inside cover is open, you will have more road noise.  By the way, the issue with road noise applies to all the suspension components - where ever the chassis is being subjected to road shock and the impact is not softened by the components (usually rubber/hydraulics, etc.)  The two checks I suggested you should be able to do easily.  If you are more technical, or have someone who is, you could check your motor mounts, and the rest of the suspension system.

Good luck.