Looking for advice: Lexus Maintained -or- Toyota Maintained?

N2 Cigars

Hello from Virginia - I'm new to this forum site and this is my first post.  I just purchased a clean, low mileage, Lexus maintained 06 LS430 with less than 40K - dark cherry pearl.  I am looking for some advise and if anyone has had any similar experiences.

The question I have is do I want my local Lexus or Toyota dealer to maintain my car?  For instance, the Lexus dealer quoted me $1400 to change the timing belt, H2O pump and related tensioners, flush the brakes and power steer fluids, and change the serp belt.  The Toyota dealer wants $800 for the same work.  The Toyota service manager stated they work on Lexus cars all the time.  He also stated the parts for the timing belt and H2O pump, etc. are the same exact part for Lexus and Toyota except for the part numbers and packaging.  My slight concern comes down to peace of mind.  They was i see it is a Lexus service technician is more familiar and better trained/qualified to do such type of extensive work on his name brand car over a Toyota service technician, however, the 4.3 engines is used on both Toyota and Lexus.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks.

Hi Ron and welcome to the Club.

In some ways your situation is not unusual. It was true that until Lexus redisigned

much of the ES, the Camry and ES shared the same body and other non drive train parts. The 2013 ES350 ,inmy opinion is a great car and espeialy the 2016s are xcellent. We have a 2013 ES and a new model RX 350. Both are by far the best of middle-priced luxury cars.

Now I'll get to the point you wanted. Sorry about that.

As I mentioned above, Lexus has moved away  from a lot of the same parts for the two models. Many of our members will purchase a part at the Lexus dealer and take it to the Toyota dealer to have them install it. This can save a good deal on labor cost. However, since the redesign of the ES, the number of interchangeable parts may be limited. Other maintenance can easily be done by the Toyota dealer.

Some times the Lexus parts department  will meet an advertised price for parts. This can apply to parts on the internet. You must take a copy of your ad or estimate signed by the person that gave you the estimate

You should be fine with using either shop. BUT, the savings is only as good as the quality of the dealers service.Ask your Lexus service manager  what is included with their oil change. My Lexus dealer  provides a free loaner  car for use all day, and even into the next day if required. Also, they do a complete wash and vacuum. In the winter I take my summer tires off and put on my snow tires. The Lexus dealer   comes out to my house and picks up my snow's, takes them to the dealer, and do the swap. Then the tire guy brings the summer tires back to my house and all of this at no charge. In the beginning I asked the service guy if  they could do this as the 4 tires would.not fit the ES. This is a big deal  for me.

Please let me know if any of this is useful.                                                                                                                                    

Please let me know if this  information is helpful.

Paul         

PJ...I have heard about the ES-Avalon similarities but not the Camry. But I guess it makes since. What about the LS? I was told the engine in my 03 LS 430 is the same as in the Tundra Pick-up.

I also heard that service guys at the dealership (The guys that tell you what you parts you possibly need and schedule the work, work on commission? Is this a common practice? 

Another question. I have a used Lexus that I believe was service at the local dealer. If I go in to the dealer with my VIN do you think they will give me a print off of service they have performed?

Thank you for your replies above.  

Yes.  The Toyota dealership  was able to look up my VIN and was able to see all the work the previous Lexus dealership had performed.  The Toyota service manager also stated that I can go and bring my own Lexus parts and bring it to him to install. 

There has been more in common mechanically among Toyota/Lexus models with V6 drive trains than those with V8 drive trains.  The Tundra and LS430 didn't use the same drive train:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UZ_engine#3UZ-FE

If you ever want to know which vehicles share a particular part, the following website has a cross reference that will list them:  http://www.toyodiy.com/

Compensation of service writers is often based at least partially on revenue production including quotas that have to be met to stay employed.  Service writers are in sales.

Register your VIN on the owners section of www.lexus.com to see information about dealer performed service on your car.  The lack of records doesn't mean much since many people use independent repair shops or do some or all of the service themselves.  For example, none of the 65 oil and filter changes I did myself on my LS cars over 325,000 miles show in the service records.  I almost always used independent repair shops, owned by former Lexus dealer employees, for major repairs and more complex services.  My next door neighbor used the same indie shops to service his LS.