Check Engine Light Help

eastredsc

Hello, I recently acquired my first Lexus, Love the car, but I'm stuck with this check engine (CE) light issue. It's an 04 with ~70k miles.

CE and VSC light on. Code reads P0133. It was very cold that day, so I cleared it hoping it was a weather thing. (VSC stayed on but I've read how to jump it so I was not concerned)
CE light back on, same code. Seemed like bank 1 sensor 1 after searching. Bought a denso o2 sensor, attempted to replace myself but failed (I could barely touch it with the heat shield and limited space)
Went to my local mechanic, said replace oxygen sensor. He charged me 1/2 hour labor with my part and says its fixed.
CE and VSC light back on the drive home, NEW Code reads P0134.
Checked under and looks OK. (new sensor replaced, not loose, no visible damage)

For the time being, I have made an appointment at a local Lexus.
Do you think it is another (sensor, vacuum, plugs, etc) problem? and would you recommend this sort of fix at a dealership? I won't try taking shortcuts again, but also not looking to spend thousands.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi John...welcome to the Forum

The fault seems to have moved to the next O2 sensor...usually a good idea to give it a good blast to ensure the exhaust system and associated parts are clear/clean to function correctly

Cheers   Trevor

What I recommend, is to disconnect the battery from the positive and negative terminals for about 15 minutes (Additionally, you will lose your radio presets). Then reconnect. If the light returns, then yes take it to the dealer/or autozone/autoparts store to have the code read. Then please report back with the code, and if it is again the O2 sensor code, you can have it changed it any mechanic. Lexus will greatly overcharge. Hope to hear from you soon to help further.

• 4 months later...

I too had a similar issue.  The VSC, VSC OFF, and CHECK ENGINE lights suddenly came on together when I started the car.  When I arrived at the dealership, the lights no longer came on at startup.  The dealership could not find any codes.  A few days later, it happened again, then the lights disappeared.  I have no idea.  Could it be a matter of concern? Any suggestions?