AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

I have a 2003 GX470 with around 155k miles. It recently started to get a front end shake which isn't horrible, but you definitely feel it pretty good. I know the rear air suspension has a small leak, but the bags stay inflated for the most part. It feels like it is coming from the front more than the rear. I brought it to the dealership and they said something about the CV boots and something with the steering column I believe. I don't have the sheet they gave me to read exactly what it said. Could either of these be the reason for the front end shake? Has anyone else experienced this and have some insight? I sure as heck do not want to pay the dealership to fix either of these as they charge an arm and a leg.

If the vibration is when the vehicle is driving along then it could be a damaged/worn Constant Velocity Joint or bent driveshaft. Other areas it could be are Wheel Bearing or even a lump in one of the tyres (jack up each corner so the wheel is off just off the ground and spin the wheel slowly while looking between the ground and the tread area to see if there is any deviation within the clearance indicating a deformed tyre or bulge in the tread area. Also check the sidewalls for damage)

If the vibration occurs when braking then the rotors are probably warped....easily checked with a Dial Test Indicator.

Let us know what you find

Cheers  Trevor

• Like 1

Should this part of my boot be sealed? Looks like a lot of grease around it. May have a serious leak and it may have been there for a while causing more issues to my axle. This may be part of my problem

1488584010709.jpg

There certainly shouldn't be any grease or oil around there but looking at the quantity it doesn't look serious enough to cause a vibration through the vehicle.

Even so, it would be worth keeping on top of and cleaning off to see exactly where it is coming from.

Josh; I had the same issue with vibration at 65 mph with my 2005 with 130K miles. I thought I needed new front shock absorbers - the tire guy at the dealership recommended road force balancing for all wheels.

I had them road force balanced, and all vibration issues went away.

No amount of conventional balancing cured it; $160 and well worth it.

• Like 1

The GXs usually have a bad vibration issue due to high road force in the wheels. Especially after you've gotten a wheel rotation and then start noticing the virbration. But Yes, by simply balancing the wheels and correcting the road force, it will take the vibration away. Start with the cheaper fix before you get into repairing the cv boots or performing any type of suspension work.

• Like 1

Regarding the leaked grease from the CV boot, I discovered the same issue about  7+ years ago. There was no clamp there so I got a CV boot clamp and a tool to install one. SInce then I haven't noticed any problem. In addition to this boot issue, my RX suffered the same  years ago and that eventually lead to failure(making sound when turning the wheel)  so I got it replaced. So I wouldn't be surprise if that could be the culprit.  Another thing, if your tires are worn pretty low, you may feel the shake more so than a newer tire. Its been my experience that after I replaced my tires(about 4 sets since I owned my GX), the shake goes away or not as apparent. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sharihs
      Hi, I bought a new Lexus RX350 2 weeks back. Till last week I was driving in local roads and started driving on freeway this week. When I reach speeds of 60 mph and above I feel really bad shake/vibration of steering wheel. Initially I thought it might be related to the road surface and tried taking different freeways to test it. It is the same on all freeways I tried, there is more vibration if I go beyond 70 mph. I have another car which is Toyota camry and I took it on same freeways and it drives much smoother and I don't see much vibrations in the steering wheel.
      Curious to know if anyone else has experienced with a new vehicle. Any inputs on this is appreciated.
      I have called up the dealer and explained the issue. Got an appointment for Saturday.

• By fozzir
      I just purchased a 2004 GX470 today with 125k miles.  First thing I want to do is add bluetooth to the kick !Removed! (Mark L) stereo in this thing.  Also, I wanted to see if anyone has been able to change the front monitor with the newer high quality gps?.  The gps on the 2004 is so outdated.  I look forward to talking with you all!
    • By MBDP
      Hello all.  
      I have ave been reading the forum for a while, and now it's time to post.  I am IN SOUTHER CALIFORNIA and looking to buy a used GX- test drove a 2007 today I found on CL.  I can provide details once I know if this is the appropriate place to post.  THanks in advance for any advice!  
    • By momo2000
      I have a 2003 with 215K miles on it.  Had it since 90K, great truck! 

Part I: 3-4 years ago the (what I call) air flow control boxes (one under each side driver/pass, control which vents the air flows out of) started making noise.  They still worked, but would pretty much make time almost all the time the car was running.  Just a clunking, chirping, clicking every few seconds, somewhat rhythmic.   Again, everything worked, just made noise.  Since I am the only driver, and am alone 95% of the time in the truck, and play the radio ;), I never worried about it, just called them “my pet squirrels”.  I spoke to my “non-dealer-lexus-only” mechanic that I’ve been taking it to since I got it and said the dash would have to come off to fix it, and it was a big price tag so I have lived with it.
      Part II:  Then 18-ish months ago I got the recall notice about the cracked dash and went in to get on “the list” at the dealership (Dec 2015).  The cracked dash did bother me much, but I though, great, when they take the dash off for the repair, I’ll pay the dealer whatever their fee is to change the air flow control boxes that that time.  What a great and fortunate plan!

Part III:  I am still waiting to get “my turn” to get the dash fixed, but about a month ago, the air flow control boxes stopped making noise, but now I think they are stuck in one position.  Here is the condition that they are now it.  I get A/C out the vents on the passenger side, but on the driver’s side, it blows HEAT.  I close the vents, but I some still comes through, and I some is coming through the floor vent.  After another 85+ degree day in Atlanta, I am motivated to find a solution.

QUESTIONS:  has anyone ever seen this issue?  Is there any way to manually operate these “air flow control boxes” so I can put it in the “A/C flow mode” for the summer??  Any other ideas to keep me a bit cooler?

• By wineluver
      Re-posting 
      I have a 07 es350 with 155k and recently replaced the front struts, with the rear getting done next few weeks. Turns out i waited to long and all 4 tires were cupped. Driving out off the shop and onto a freeway had vibration coming from front and steering wheel, so replaced the front tires with two good spares ( that were mildly cupped), same brand and model, and vibration gone. Now I have the same issue OBwan had,  a slight vibration felt in the seat (not through the steering wheel)from 45mph and up that does not increase with speed, but goes away around 60mph. Also there when turning at speed, as when entering on-ramps etc. Although the rear tires are also cupped, I left them on until I can replace rear struts, then i will get a new set of four tires. My concern is that I read that the es350 has had front axle issues and I am worried that is what is causing the vibration. A. should i be concerned? B. can putting the car on a lift for visual inspection spot this issue? (concerned an enterprising mechanic will just tell me i need new axles, bad or not. Can you replace just one?) C. if it is an axle any recommendation on after market brand? At this point my plan was to first replace rear struts, then buy new set of Conti Pure Contacts, and if vibration persists, replace one or both axles. Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is getting expensive!