2003 ES300 starting to ride rough

WWN

My 03 ES300 has been an excellent car since I bought it as the second owner in 2006--it has 168,000 miles on the clock. Recently the ride has gradually become rougher when I drive over cracks and bumps, although overall handling and quietness remain unchanged. The tires are fairly new Michelin Primacies in good condition. There is no fluid leakage or suspension sag. My question is, What is the immediate cause likely to be? Struts/shocks, rubber mountings, bushings, or other components I'm unaware of? I'm hoping to economize and repair only what's necessary, although I realize that this may not be possible. At present, I'm not sure I will be keeping the car for years into the future. Thanks for your help!

WWN,

Its impossible to narrow down the cause, as its likely to be one or several of the items you've mentioned. Get the car to a good independent mechanic and have him take it for a short drive, and then put it up on a hoist and check it over. He should be able to find your issue in short order.

• Like 1

No, there's no noise, just a roughness to the ride. Thanks for the replies lenore and gbhrps. You're right that I need to get some hands-on expert input on this.

You could have a bad shock upper mount, Do you get rattle noise when hitting bumps in the pavement.?

One other thought, are the tires worn?  Some when worn start really riding hard, and make lots of noise.