What to check on 2003 LS430?

Gunnie

Sorry if this has been covered before, I'm sure it has.  I do not own a Lexus however would like to find a good example of a LS430.  I saw a 2003 with about 135,000 miles on it for sale locally, appears to have been taken very well care of, no major issues reported, but I haven't seen it in person yet. It does not have Nav or the back up camera (not sure if those were available that year??).  I wanted to find out what I should look for and what specifically should I ask the owner concerning any known issues with this model?  (are there any known issues particular to this year/model?) Assuming it is in good shape with no issues, what is a good range (value) for a private deal??

Thanks for that, so the timing belt should be done at 90-100K miles?

I also was wondering if there are any specific known problem areas ie: anything that this particular model suffers from other than normal wear and tear??

I've done basic repairs, things like tires, brakes, spark plugs, oil and filter, cabin a/c filter, fresh antifreeze, fresh brake fluid. My O2 sensors showed up on the trouble code at @150K, and I had my mechanic replace all 4 ( they're hard to get to).Thats about it. Best car I've ever owned, now have 240K and runs like new.

Do have your mechanic check it out, including trouble codes showing up. I'd stay away from crash-damaged (body worked) cars.

Good luck!

Hi Gunnie and welcome.

You should be able to go on lexus.com. Generally they offer a section on warranties for different models and years. The site should tell when the service needs to be done and a menu  of what is covered.

Paul

Thanks for the tips.  I'm also curious on any particular mechanical issues that other owners (of this model) have experienced that seem to pop up repeatedly.  For example, one vehicle I owned (not a Lexus) is known for having problems with the EGR system, had mine worked on many times by dealers, but the issue continued to come back, as it did for other owners of the same model. Ditto for another vehicle that had a known issue with the main engine ECU for just two model years, other years were fine. Just two examples I can think of.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 5:21 PM, Gunnie said:

Sorry if this has been covered before, I'm sure it has.  I do not own a Lexus however would like to find a good example of a LS430.  I saw a 2003 with about 135,000 miles on it for sale locally, appears to have been taken very well care of, no major issues reported, but I haven't seen it in person yet. It does not have Nav or the back up camera (not sure if those were available that year??).  I wanted to find out what I should look for and what specifically should I ask the owner concerning any known issues with this model?  (are there any known issues particular to this year/model?) Assuming it is in good shape with no issues, what is a good range (value) for a private deal??

I have a 2004 model. Apart from the recent Nav and radio/check A/C connection ( no solution yet) I have replaced both Lower Control Arm bushes. The front suspension knocking/thumping sounds are easily mistaken for worn shocks/struts! Expensive mistake I made after a shop misdiagnosed my problem! Check thoroughly. Also, steering rattle problem, mistaken for worn Steering rack issue. Mine is not. Lexus dealer eliminated that and believes it maybe the U-joints in the column or just a rubber bushing which is inconsequential toe performance. Will check the battery life and output as suggested for the first problem above; lets keep sharing and maintain these great driving machines! Thanks. 

C.B.