Navigation Upgrade from GEN 1 to GEN3

joseprowler

This is a forum for North America.  The SC430 sold in North America from from the 2001 through 2004 model year had what is referred to as a GEN2/3 navigation system.  The final update for the GEN2/3 navigation system was November 2013.

The SC430 sold in North America from the 2005 through 2009 model year had a GEN4 navigation system.  The final update for the GEN4 navigation system was November 2015.

The navigation systems in Lexus and Toyota vehicles sold in Europe are different than the navigation systems in Lexus and Toyota vehicles sold in North America.  Here is a link to the Lexus navigation web site for Europe:  http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/

It may be more reasonable for you to start using a cell phone based navigation product or a portable navigation product from a company like TomTom.  Afterall, your SC430 is sixteen model years old.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sir thanks for the time you spent writing me a message.

I already replaced my DVD rom and now I can have the recent maps 2016/17 as well a new set os screens, fortunately the front screen is compatible..

Yes is a 16 Year old car, but i stil love it and is in pristine condition, as i believe that everything in life must be well treated.

Best regards

Jose

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Dear Donna,

I am located in  Portugal, so the maps source are definitely not the same as its in USA where i supposed you are, however at Lexus website you can get them, unfortunately very expensive.I bought mine in UK through ebay

• 6 months later...

I have a 2002 and I purchased a used 2007 DVD driver with disc, and it installed Plug and Play into the trunk of my 2002. No issues in functionality, but there are two small little quirks. 1) There is an option to change the background color of the program windows ( green, grey, blue, etc). I can change it but it doesn't seem to "remember" this change on the next ignition. 2) Something I was slightly expecting, no OEM Bluetooth like new models of the SC430. Another friend followed this gremlin up and found that if he added a 2007 OEM screen to his 2002, 2007 wiring harness with modification, and microphone line then he would have OEM Bluetooth option with the on screen dialer that works! Even with that though, no bluetooth streaming music (thus I upgraded to a 2007 OEM radio and added Grom Audio kit which gave me Bluetooth Handsfree calls, Bluetooth Music with steering control, "OK Google" control, HD radio, and Auxiliary input). Overall it works great. Better graphics, but nothing compared to GPS NAV on phones these days. While I was changing out that drive in the trunk, I also added a phone mirroring kit so at the click of a button the DVD Nav screen will toggle btn my OEM navigation and an external input which has the phone mirror unit (so I can run Waze and GoogleNavigation)/Asus media player/Backup camera so I can play movies, music videos, etc off a hard drive. Pretty awesome updates for a 16 year old car.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Marshallb said:

Shawn:

Can you use Sirius/XM?

Marshall

Maybe Shawn will reply but he last visited this forum since September 2018.  If Shawn installed a 2007 SC430 radio in his 2002 SC430, it would not have had built-in satellite radio capability but, unlike earlier SC430 radios, an aftermarket sat radio tuner could be added to it ... such as those that VAIS has for a 2007 SC430 audio system:  https://www.vaistech.com/product-category/satellite-radio/?fwp_year=all-packages-sc-430-lexus-2007

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone I'm a new member own a 2002 SC 430 with only 53,000 and everything seems to be falling apart now. Nav system has the DVD in the player in the trunk but keeps telling me no disc? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks 

Leah

Hello Leah

As far as my electronics skills tells me, that means usually the DVD laser head reader is dirty or dead.

Why not now you upgrade the DVD  Rom?  replacing as i have done for a GEN3 where you can get DVD maps, because now you can't anymore for your 2002.

Regards

Jose

He's right Leah. But It depends on money. Sorry to hear she is falling apart but its more likely from lack of use than anythjng. A car with that few of miles still degrades. Grease gets old and hardens, seals dry out etc. If the navigation is a feature you really care about and have a couple of hundred laying around, find a GEN 3 Nav disk player on ebay. They are used in multiple Lexus and Toyota models so they are pretty easy to find.That allows you to get the last update disc from 2015. I dont have the P/N handy right now but I will see if I can pull it up later.

Paul

So Leah. Good news and bad news. You can replace the disc drive for your navigation unit without modding anything up to 2004. But the disk updates stopped at 2015. And even used drives are still going from $130.00 to $300.00. To be perfectly honest, unless you wanted to go with a completely new aftermarket system that gives you backup camera etc., it's just not really worth it for the benefit you would get. Most people today just use their phones anyway. But I do know how we like everything to work in our cars. You could try a CD Disc cleaner. I tried one and I saw no difference. But I was also trying to upgrade my disc with one from ebay that wasn't a very good copy I guess. If its something you really, really want to do. I'll give you a hand with finding a replacement.

Paul

• 1 year later...

Hello,  I have a 2002 SC430 which is in excellent condition and stock other than the rims.  Since I live in South Dakota, I only drive it in the summer months and store it in my heated garage during the winter months.  Everything has worked great until this summer.  On my Navigation, I am getting the "no disc detected" message.  I tried cleaning the dvd drive and that did not work.  Additionally, my display unit quit tilting.  The door opens and closes but it will not tilt.  I would love to keep the oem look but would like to update to the gen 4 system if possible.  Any idea who would have the necessary components available?  Thank you in advance.