What is your MPG?

winter4w

So I have a 1996 LS400 and I get around 270-300 miles before the light is on and need to refill. Is this good because when I calculated it I am getting around 13-14MPG and google says the 96 gets 19 city / 26 highway. Is there something wrong or is this just a normal thing?

Thanks

I always believe that checking the vehicle settings ... regularly serviced, quality fuel, correct tyre pressures, correct oil level and use quality oil, excess weight (carrying stuff in the trunk), roof bars, etc  all help or hinder getting better MPG.

7 hours ago, Trevor Catt said:

I always believe that checking the vehicle settings ... regularly serviced, quality fuel, correct tyre pressures, correct oil level and use quality oil, excess weight (carrying stuff in the trunk), roof bars, etc  all help or hinder getting better MPG.

Yea my car is normaly empty and gets around 2-3 days of highway miles (around 20 miles) drives. People were saying to try and replace the coolant temp sensor and see if it improves.

• 2 weeks later...

90 LS purchased w/61K.  I'm now rounding 65k miles.  I've been getting 16.1-16.5 mpg on my Fill-ups.  Mostly Suburban w some HWY.

I had an exhaust blow fixed between the cat flanges.  Yesterday, I finished replacing both sets of Down Stream o2 sensors ( i had done the upstream a couple weeks ago for code 25 & Trac).  Currious to know if my MPG's go up now.  I haven't done a fill-up since.  I did notice prior to my test drive the car would sporadically drop RPM's when coasting around 40-45mph.  It didn't do this, but one test drive means nothing since i noticed Engine Lights can take 50-100miles before showing again if they come back.

Here are a couple of tips I have picked up regarding maximizing fuel efficiency

1. Replace the spark plugs if you have not already, I prefer NGK Iridium plugs

2. Look for Cooper CS5 Grand Touring/Ultimate Touring tires, they are excellent for these cars

3. Use OVERDRIVE on the highway or at speeds in excess of 60 MPH (most say 40-50 MPH, but in my car I have observed minimal difference at those speeds). Note that you can use Overdrive at all speeds and it will keep the RPM's down but from what I have learned at slower speeds this translates to negligible fuel economy gains.

4. Set your ECT mode to NORMAL and not PWR

5. Keep the RPM's as low as possible aka don't floor it

6. Make sure your wheels are balanced and aligned properly and that your tires are also correctly inflated.

7. Mythbusters proved this, KEEP YOUR CAR CLEAN, it does SLIGHTLY affect gas mileage for the positive.

8. Turn off your A/C system if you want, it does affect gas mileage slightly, but its also a comfort, not really necessary unless you want to maximize fuel economy.

9. In reference to replacing the spark plugs, you may also want to consider replacing the ignition coil, distributor cap & rotor, and plug wires if they have not been replaced in quite some time as they can lose spark and cause poor performance, this would be within a general tune-up.

10. Replace the fuel filter, this is commonly missed on every car, and they get NASTY, unclean fuel = bad performance. Also consider getting a professional fuel service done on your car, this can help too, especially if it has not been done in some time.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

In my small experience with my 98 LS 400, in tank full i easily get 300+Miles, one box of fuel indicator should give you 100 miles so we have 4 dividers in the fuel gauge it should give you 350Miles until light comes on

my lexus mileage.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I do lots of freeway driving.  I have a 99 that gets 27 mpg at 75 mph.  Combined city/highway is 21-22 for me.  And I stuck a trailer hitch on it in order to tow a couple sport motorcycles on a light trailer (total trailer weight is approx. 1100 pounds) across the country.  I get 21 mpg on the freeway, driving just under 70 mph towing two of my bikes at a time.  

The 98+ models have a 5 speed transmission, whereas prior models have a 4 speed.  The 5 speed gets a bit better fuel economy.  There are several factors that will affect fuel mileage as noted by Spartan above.  The two that make the most difference for me is #1 - Light acceleration around town.  I don't mash the throttle taking off.  #2 - Use the cruise control on the interstate as much as safely possible.  For me, I can't modulate the throttle as minutely as can the computer to maintain speed.

• 5 months later...
On 2/9/2017 at 1:11 AM, winter4w said:

It's a bit low, but as little highway miles as you're doing (percentage-wise), I'm not surprised.   I get 15-17-ish in strictly in-town/suburban driving, 20-24 on more highway-based drives (22-23 or so typically, on long trips, cruise set 75-80).  20 gallon fill/20 mpg =400 or so miles/tank.

On 2/9/2017 at 1:11 AM, winter4w said:

So I have a 1996 LS400 and I get around 270-300 miles before the light is on and need to refill. Is this good because when I calculated it I am getting around 13-14MPG and google says the 96 gets 19 city / 26 highway. Is there something wrong or is this just a normal thing?

Thanks