2007 Lexus ES350 transmission stutter and steering wheel vibration

kattru01

I have a 2007 Lexus ES350 that I bought when it was 1 yr. old. It now has 80,150 miles on it. The last month, I've been having strange problems with the transmission shifting. About a block after I first get in it or get in it after a long day, I'll be taking off and it stutters as I start to accelerate. The RPM ramps up and there's no response to depressing the accelerator, then a few seconds, later it shifts. It's done this about 6  times in the last month and doesn't do it every time. It did it a few days ago, and this time I heard gears grinding. My husband can't find the transmission stick and from what I've read, I don't think there is one? This past weekend, another problem started. I was coming back from the Houston Discovery Green NFL experience and was on the freeway about to exit (so I was driving freeway speeds). The steering wheel started vibrating really hard when I pressed on the brake to slow down to exit speed! Not just a little vibration - a lot. When I took my foot off the brake, it quit. Any ideas about the transmission and steering wheel problems?

Hi Kathy...welcome to the Forum

It sounds like you have an engine running issue which is being transmitted through the auto trans making it appear to be a transmission fault. I would run checks on the engine first.

The shudder is warped brake rotors, you can get these checked by a garage who can measure the run-out on them and replace if excessive.

Cheers  Trevor