AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Greg13

UNDER 10 MPG?

3 posts in this topic

I just purchased a LEXUS GX 460 2017. The info said 15 city / 18 highway and I did not read anything different on the consumer reports that I read.

I am currently getting 9.4 to 9.5 MPG. I took the car to the local service department and they informed me that this is normal for the winter and for the type of driving that is currently being done on the vehicle. Is this true? Is everyone experiencing similar issues?

Some info about the car and how it is being driven: GX 460 2017 Premium / Fuel Grade 91 / The temp outside has been in the mid 30s-Low 40s / Car is being mostly used for 3-5 mile trips around town (a lot of stop signs and signals / driven at a normal pace / some idling waiting for the kids (5 min) at school.

Any suggestions on whether or not this is normal?

Seems reasonable to me. Cold weather might be a reason but 15 city MPG the manufacture gets is not under this (a lot of stop signs and signals/some idling waiting for the kids (5 min) at school) condition and your trip (3-5 miles) also seems too short to get a high MPG. I live on Long Island where some people drive like 1/4 drag race and I get 15 combined. it's still lower than what they say but acceptable to me.

I just purchased a 2017 GX for the ability to carry more children.  I simply love it.  So comfortable for a truck.  We took it on a 600 mile trip last week and got over 21 mpg with 6 passengers, an ice chest and duffel bags with clothes.  Driving around the city I get around 17 mpg which I am happy with.  I use only 91+ octane fuel and the GX only has 1000 miles on it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TheBjamin
      I own a 2013 RX 450h and from the day I purchased it I have averaged 24mpg, bouncing from 23-25mpg highway mileage, with anywhere from 22-26mpg city... a far cry from the 28/32mpg advertised. The dealership has reset my ECM three times, changed the inflation on the tires four times, and added a special spoiler and "areo fins", all with 0 effect. After pestering Lexus for over a year, I was told that 24mpg is NORMAL for this car, and there is nothing wrong with it. I have polled other 450h drivers and the vast majority state their mileage is the same, around 24-25mpg. Only 3 have said they get the promised 28/32mpg.
      I intend to file a class action lawsuit against Lexus for artificially inflating their MPG rating on their hybrid vehicles in order to increase sales and justify the massive price difference between the hybrid and regular models.
      I am polling all 450h owners, 2010-2015, to find out what their average mileage is. If a significant number are having the same issue, I will begin the process of filing on behalf of all 450h owners.
      Again, this is only for 2010-2015 models. Thank you in advance for posting your MPG experiences.
      Ben
    • By jebrx 350
      I'm a first time Lexus owner and happy with no regrets. I did however pay a trusted automotive shop to check out several used 2009 RX350 vehicles with 36 +/- K miles that enabled me to request a new brake job and switch a brand new set of tires for our preferred brand and 1 (one) item covered under warranty. Because I researched Consumer Reports and had decided on the RX350 my shopping was fairly easy using my paid adviser. The salesman/dealer willing to deal and not say my adviser was wrong on the brake job and switching tire brands got the sale.
      My questions is: regarding actual...current fuel consumption the display indicates a wide range; fluctuates from the teens to the 90s and this is something that I just noticed this year and have 53,236 miles. I have watched these INFO numbers during my 16,736 miles and have never noticed this until this year. I realize the only way to get actual MPG is to fill up my tank and write down the mileage and then repeat w/fill up and do the numbers. I know...think that the current numbers running is only an estimate but to 90, 50, etc.; could a fuse be blown? I appreciate any info that I can use before addressing this to a tech/mechanic at the dealer. Thank you, Jeb
    • By adrian torres
      Help!,
      My 1997 LS400 has had a drop in MPG from around 20mpg to 15mpg after my Lexus was serviced at the local dealership. I had to replace a damaged driver side heat shield that was dented. The dealership had to "drop" the exhaust in order to replace the shield. After that repair, my mpg had dropped and never recovered. I took it back to them, and they could find nothing wrong. I tried to drive during different times of day, commute routes, etc. and they are all result in the same low mpg. However, highway mileage is stayed at 25mpg when I drive on the interstate at a constant 65 mph.
      I mentioned to them the water temp sensor that everyone in the forums point to, and the dealership did not think that it was the cause, since the drop occured after they serviced it. They also stated that the exhaust drop would have nothing to with a drop in mpg. They tested the o2 sensors and they were working fine, and there is no engine light. They stated that the car was fine, however they could replace the sensor for $250 but would not recommend it as it would not solve the problem.
      I wonder if the rear o2 sensor is sensing a air leak, if the dropping the exhaust caused a seal to break and this is causing the car to run rich.
      I am running out of ideas and the drop is causing my fuel costs to increase 25%.
      Any ideas or suggestions?
      Adrian