LS460L Tire that is "Good Enough"

I looked for a "sticky" post on this topic before posting my own question, but didn't find one.  If there is already a good thread on this, please point me in that direction.

I have a 2008 LS460L with the ASP that I've owned for a little over 2 years.  About 18 months ago, the dealer installed 4 x Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Green X) 245/45-19 tires to the tune of $1,200.00.  I'm determined not to part with my hard earned money like that again.  I've researched and personally bought tires for all of my previous cars and used a local installer.  After a bad experience at one of the national tire chains (lug bolts rated for 82 lb-ft tightened closer to 130 lb-ft), I started removing all 4 wheels myself, carting the wheels and new tires to the installer, re-mounting the wheels myself, and applying the appropriate torque.  After nearly 5 years out of the game, it looks like I'm going to be doing this again.

I'd like to hear recommendations for a tire that is "good enough" for the LS460L under normal all-season driving conditions.  Obviously, I'm not interested in paying $300+ per tire, but I'm also not trying to find the $90 tire.  I'd like good, middle-of-the-road (pun intended) tire that can handle extended interstate driving with 4 full-sized adults and luggage.  Thanks in advance!

I don't know what to tell you except to watch for sales promotions.  You are pretty much stuck with more expensive tires due to your optional 19" wheels.  I suppose you could get a set of 18" wheels but I don't know if the savings on 18" tires would be enough to make the smaller wheels cost effective during the remaining time you will own your LS.

Maybe review the customer ratings on the Tire Rack website to see if less expensive tires have been "good enough" for others.

Most of the tires I've bought in the past 15 years have been from Costco - as many as 12 tires at one time ... two sets of four tires in just the past three months.  Costco has been having several promotions per year on Michelin and Bridgestone tires and have recently had a promotion that provided "free" tire installation for people who have the "executive" Costco "membership".  (I hate the term "membership" since I'm really just a customer.)  A potential issue with Costco is that I don't think any have road force balancing although that doesn't seem to be important for our current vehicles.

• Like 1

Thank you!  Costco, indeed, had some good deals.  However, since one of the two tires (rear set) I needed to replace had a nail and the tread was separating from the core at only about 20k miles, the dealer strongly pro-rated the price of that tire making overall replacement costs more palatable.  When the two front tires are due for a change, I'll likely go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ from Costco, which runs $100 less per tire than the dealer.

• 1 month later...

I have a Lexus LS400, and I am changing my tires to Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring tires, for my rim size they are around $89.00 (US) per tire at Walmart.

Here is the link for your described tire size (245/45-R19)

*According to Kauffman Tires you can expect these "shoes" to run you around $200 - $225 (US) each, right within your price range. 

• 4 years later...

I've had an 07 Lexus Ls460L since 2012 and I pay about $575 for a set of Nexen 5000 (235/50/18). I've never had a problem with this tire and I've put about 3 sets on my car. 

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro are among the least expensive among Consumer Reports performance all-season tire ratings and get above average ratings for:
dry braking
wet braking
handling
Hydroplaning resistance
snow traction
Noise

Cost for a set of four 235/50R18 101V XL tires is about $700. Estimated tread life is 65,000 miles.

19-inch tires, of course will be a bit more expensive.

The General Altimax tires are less expensive ($640/4) but score only average for we and dry braking