Can an alternator slow down RX300? Is that whats wrong?

Hi all,

New to Lexus and new to here. I did try to search but couldn't find a thread related to this. 

Bought a 2004 RX300 a couple of weeks ago and I've been really pleased so far. But I now have an issue. A couple of days ago the belts squeaked for about a minute but it wasn't first start up of the day so I noticed and thought that's odd.

Since then belts have squeaked a few times and again for a minute only and not from cold.

Yesterday got in it to leave work at 5pm and got the squeak but also the red battery light was on for the first time so I turned off all the power hungry items. After about 5 mins the battery light went out again, and then I pulled over to pick up groceries. When i restarted car started ok with no noise and no red light but no power. There was nothing to indicate it was in limp mode, no warning lights just wouldn't pull.

Any thoughts? My initial uneducated thought is alternator. Alternator may have semi 'seized' so with the squeak yesterday was alternator refusing to turn, but then it did turn but is so stiff its basically nearly stopping the engine but it is reluctantly turning hence the battery light is out.

Is there any way I can test the alternator? Is my theory idiotic?

Any help greatly appreciated.

It does sound like the belt is not gripping the pulleys either due to having slack tension or being worn.

Alternatively, if the alternator has water in it (from cleaning under the bonnet) and it freezes then this can distort and crack the casing (clearly visible)

You very well may have an alternator that is about to fail completely.  Take the belt off and spin the pulley by hand, there should be very little noise and no resistance.