Expensive repair normal for this?

Have a 2004 RX330 that just passed 100,000 miles.  Took it in for an oil change and came home with a quote of $3,873 for repair!  I'm questioning if this is normal or

are they taking advantage of me.  Last maintenance service was in April of 2016 for 95,000 mile visit.  They charged me $1,700 at that time.

Here's what they are saying needs repair now...coolant and motor oil leaks; camshaft seals; coolant - core plug coolant bypass; and transmission pan - reseal.

Mentioned there are no leaks on garage floor and he told me there wouldn't be with these leaks and that the plastic molding under the car would prevent leaks from going on our floor.

The repairs I listed are just notes I tried to take while he was listing them.  It seems like there are a lot of leaks going on at one time.  I've never felt like they were overcharging me, but this time 

it's different.  Sure could use some advice, suggestions, or comments.  

Sandy,

Glad U got to post these items. I will give my opinions, of course without seeing or knowing any more of your car than U entered. Firstly, I don't understand $1700 for the 95k maintenance. Did U notice any issues or did the dealer "find" all the suddenly needed repairs? If they made it sound as if these things "had to be done right now" it sounds like a mis-truth. Second, I fail to comprehend why all these things were discovered between 95 and 100k miles when U returned for that visit. This sounds like waaaay too many issues to crop up in only 5k miles. Auto shops make quite good money doing service work even if they really do everything they say .

If I have any advice for U it would be to find a reputable independent mechanic, take your car to him, and request he do a complete check-up for U. U can see what he recommends and go from there. Good luck, Steve

Totally agree, at 95k miles there should have been a timing belt change.  At that time the camshaft seals and waterpump should have been inspected.  Any Toyota dealership would have done that job for less than $700.  The next big item are the spark plugs at 125k miles, but between you and me, they will easily last much more.  If all of these leaks showed I would first change the PVC valve on the valve cover.  Something is real shady about that estimate, I would run and as said find an independent for an estimate for the service that is really necessary. 

By the way you are way past warranty, so try your recommended independent or a Toyota Dealership,  The car is built on the same platform as a Highlander.

11 hours ago, zieke said:

Sandy,

Glad U got to post these items. I will give my opinions, of course without seeing or knowing any more of your car than U entered. Firstly, I don't understand $1700 for the 95k maintenance. Did U notice any issues or did the dealer "find" all the suddenly needed repairs? If they made it sound as if these things "had to be done right now" it sounds like a mis-truth. Second, I fail to comprehend why all these things were discovered between 95 and 100k miles when U returned for that visit. This sounds like waaaay too many issues to crop up in only 5k miles. Auto shops make quite good money doing service work even if they really do everything they say .

If I have any advice for U it would be to find a reputable independent mechanic, take your car to him, and request he do a complete check-up for U. U can see what he recommends and go from there. Good luck, Steve

I looked up the report from 95,00 mile check up (April 2016) and they detected fluid leak at power steering rack and replaced the rack assembly; also front and rear differential service (fluid was dirty).  Those were the reasons for the $1,700 (it also included alignment, etc.).  The only issues I noticed and brought for this service were more "cosmetic" things...nothing with handling; no leaks.  I am calling dealership service department this morning and telling them not to continue with repairs.  Now if I can find a reputable independent mechanic!  Don't know of any, but will ask around.  Thank you for opinion!  It just didn't feel right to me....that's a lot of money when it seemed to be running ok.

11 hours ago, lenore said:

Totally agree, at 95k miles there should have been a timing belt change.  At that time the camshaft seals and waterpump should have been inspected.  Any Toyota dealership would have done that job for less than $700.  The next big item are the spark plugs at 125k miles, but between you and me, they will easily last much more.  If all of these leaks showed I would first change the PVC valve on the valve cover.  Something is real shady about that estimate, I would run and as said find an independent for an estimate for the service that is really necessary. 

Thanks for the welcome.  In checking, the timing belt was changed at the 90,000 mile service (well, car was at 88,000) and that was in 2015.  Did not see anything in that report about camshaft seals and water pump; maybe they did inspect them.  This is my second Lexus - first was a pre-owned SC300 and traded that in for this RX330.  Was looking at another one this year, but I can't get over that new grill work....too aggressive looking and reminds me of the old NYS snow plows!  :)  The 2017 LS is a little better in the grill and it rides beautifully, but $72,000 is way over our budget!  Going to call now and tell them not to work on the car at this time.  

Sandy,

OK, Timing belt absolutely necessary. Lexus paid for a new steering rack for mine (a recognized problem) I had to pay labor for installation. ($700) My Lexus dealer's fav, trick is to replace the cabin filter for $75. U can buy a new one for $12 and it takes all of 10 min. to install it.

3 hours ago, zieke said:

Firstly, I don't understand $1700 for the 95k maintenance.

Per the OP's previous post in this thread, the $1,700 included replacing a leaking steering rack.  We had a badly leaking steering rack on a Camry replaced at about the same mileage and age and they aren't cheap - around $1,000 if I remember correctly and it may have been a rebuilt rack.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zieke said:

OK, Timing belt absolutely necessary. Lexus paid for a new steering rack for mine (a recognized problem) I had to pay labor for installation. ($700) My Lexus dealer's fav, trick is to replace the cabin filter for $75. U can buy a new one for $12 and it takes all of 10 min. to install it.

After reading over the report from Lexus today, they also said our cabin air filter was filthy.  Tks for tip....I was thinking about changing it myself.  

The cabin and engine air intake filter should be changed at the same time (about every 10,000 - 12,000 miles).

Some dealerships add services to "mileage maintenance" that are not even listed in the owner's manual. Always review your service interval manual BEFORE taking your car in for service.

Hi Sandy,

I don't think anyone mentioned a transmission fluid change. In the past,  dealers have suggested a change of transmission fluid around at 90,000 miles and higher. Just from memory I think it ran at over $$1,000.

The strange thing about this is the debate over should you have the fluid changed. It seems that most members say NOT to let them do the change. The reason stems around possible problems after the change is done Like many things if its running fine draining the fluid and flushing is possible to dislodge fine particles that have built up with time and wear.  All of the fine particles come loose and there is no way to reverse the problem.

I would suggest posting both Lenore and Jim (Darth Vader Helmet)  They can give you better advice than I. 

Paul

Sandy,

Next post Sandy: The trans.fluid  (also transaxle ,same thing) should be changed in my opinion by 100k or so because it gets hot and wears out. Not a hard job at all, there is a drain plug. Most trans shops should do it for $200 or less. Use the Toyota fluid or recognized generic. Transfer case, same reasons, not a hard job either since I did mine myself.

By the way, by all means if a maintenance item is listed in your manual at a certain mileage, then it should be done. I'm fairly certain that the transmission fluid change is in the maintenance manual so do NOT skip it.