02 es300 wont shift 5th gear

02es300gold

I just purchased a 2002 es300 with 47,000 miles, i noticed when i shift to D in automatically shoes 4 not D....i read on some post that i need a new shifter , and some say to flash ecm?? New to lexus brand can someone point me in the right direction pls. If i purchased a used shifter will it work?? Or it has to be brand new?? 

02es300gold,

Don't throw parts at a car problem until you know exactly what needs fixing! People do that time and again and they are just throwing money away.

Get the car to a good mechanic (one who works on Camry's, which are the younger version of the ES300, so basically the same) and have the problem checked out. A Lexus dealership will cost twice as much.

Once you have a diagnosis, then make a decision as to what needs to be done. If the ECM needs reflashing, then the Lexus dealership is where it'll have to go.

Hi Jaime...welcome to the Forum

I agree with gbhrps its certainly worth getting it professionally checked first as it may be something quite simple and may not need expensive parts fitting.

Let us know how this goes...be nice to know the outcome

Cheers   Trevor

• Like 1

On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 4:05 AM, Trevor Catt said:

Hi Jaime...welcome to the Forum

I agree with gbhrps its certainly worth getting it professionally checked first as it may be something quite simple and may not need expensive parts fitting.

Let us know how this goes...be nice to know the outcome

Cheers   Trevor

I took the shifter apart on my es300, followed a few instructions i was able to find here in the forum...turns out the 02-06es300 n 330 have a common problen on the shifter where the plastic piece that signals the shifter to the computer breaks...theres 2 forks n one was broken. So a simple zip tie with a metal piece at d end did the trick..thanks so much to the forum got me out of a huge doubt since i just purchased the car n was very worried would b expensive repair .thankx guys

• Like 1

Pearl06,

Reading between the lines of 02es300gold's post above yours, I believe he took the shifter mechanism apart himself and solved his issue.

Do google searches for "2002 es300 shifter mechanism fix" or similar, and then read through the various threads. Often someone with the exact same issue not only explains how to do a step by step repair of whatever, but many times they post pictures as well. Its helped me solve many issues with all of my vehicles over the years, from changing the fuel injectors of my Duramax diesel dually, to do the timing belt of my 1990 Nissan 300ZX. Its there some place on the internet. You just have to do some searching.