AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

geethasri

2007 RX350 - Water Pump, Rack & Pinion replacement

2 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I took my 2007 RX350 to a local Lexus dealer's service station in Plano, TX for an oil change and the mileage on it is around 102500. Service rep suggested a 100K mileage service for a cost of $300 and I agreed. However, their technician is suggesting me to replace "Water Pump Assembly" and "Steering Rack and Pinion" and provided me an estimate of $2700 ($1K for pump, $1.7K for the rack). I felt like it is very expensive repair and I did not go for the replacement. Reasons given to me for the replacement was that the pump is "starting to seep" and the Rack and Pinion is "leaking front both sides". However, I do not see any fluids being leaked on my garage floor and I do not notice any difference in the way I feel my steering wheel. Is it a reasonable estimate for those parts and what are the best alternative repair locations? Thanks much for your suggestions.

I would always recommend a second opinion and in the case of the steering, it is not worth taking chances with leaking fluid.

But I'm sure the job could be done cheaper elsewhere .... worth a second quote!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By LS Fan
      So I have a 1998 LS400 with 170,000 miles on it. It has been babied and garaged. It is in fantastic shape. One morning this week I started the car, drove about a mile and noticed that the temperature gauge was just under the red line. It normally hangs out just under the halfway mark. I tuned around and drove home as not wanting to run it too hot. Here's what i checked on to determine the issue. Water pump, timing belt, thermostat, all radiator hoses and new coolant was just done 12,000 miles ago. This check out normal. Then I thought that it might be the sensor/sending unit indicating the wrong temperature to display on the gauge. I was going to just buy a new one and change it out, but then I thought of hooking up my OBDII scan tool to check the engine temperature. Sure enough the engine temperature read normal through the real-time scan tool. Here's my logic. If the scan tool shows the correct temperature as read from the ecm computer, it must be getting the temperature sent to it from the sensor correctly which means that there isn't a reason to change out the temperature sensor as a possible fix. I believe that I can rule it out. I think that only leaves me the instrument gauge itself that could be the culprit in this issue. Also, I think that this is the part I need.    CLICK-HERE     
      If this is the issue, would it be better to just buy the gauge and change it out or send the instrument cluster in somewhere to be rebuilt?  Also, occasionally the tach sticks at zero so a good slap on the top of the dashboard above the gauge fixes it. Maybe a rebuild of the instrument cluster would fix this too.
      Please help me figure out this dilemma. I try to keep everything on the car working at 100% so even if the car isn't running hot, I want the gauge to report the correct temperature. 
    • By Rocca's Lex
      I recently just had my water pump replaced due to my car running hot when I drove in speeds over 70 miles and above. Now I am noticing that I continue to have to add Antifreeze when I take long trips and after a while the car still is running hot when I drive long distances in rates of speed over 70. Why does my car continue to need Antifreeze added? All the leaks were addressed when the Water Pump was changed. 
    • By justdawnk
      If you own at 2008 RX400h, check your water pump. At a routine service visit today, ours is dripping and needs replacement. This is nuts with only 63K miles. Unfortunately this past the powertrain warranty. PLEASE post other related issues so LEXUS knows this is not isolated.
    • By datarecovery
      I usually use RockAuto for my parts because I can find out before what it costs me for shipping and when it will arrive. And they are always earlier than they estimate. So good customer service. Unfortunately, this time they don't carry the kit I need. I look around who else has good prices. CarID and Autoplicity through Amazon. Must be good if coming through Amazon?

140 Tuesday afternoon, I order DAYCO WP298K1AS waterpump and timing belt kit. Might as well get two radiator hoses and valve cover gaskets from Hector. He tells me shipping is free since the order is over $200. Wanted to have it arrive on Thursday. so I pay the extra $27 for 2nd day UPS Air. I repeat the credit card information and confirm with Hector 3X. Total billl is $300+
      Get an email at 5pm EST from Sikander Hussain that there is a problem with the credit card number.
      1741: I call Hector, he doesn't understand why there is a problem but says he has fixed it. "You guarantee that this is going to get to me Thursday morning, right? Oh yes sir, no problem, I guarantee it!"
      Me: Please send me a confirmation email with a tracking number, and "you don't mind if I call you tomorrow Hector to make sure that the product is shipped?" "Oh, no sir, if there is a problem I will get in touch with you right away!"
      Wednesday: No transaction number? 1030. Finally receive email confirmation of order, no tracking information. Order says "3 - 5 days GROUND." Aaaargh. Wt! After I specifically requested and paid for 2nd day air.
      I call Hector, Joel Montejo, both voicemails do not allow you to leave a voicemail. I speak with Dewey, (tech support) and David - another salesperson who apparently can't help me with Hector's order.
      1034: I finally reach Hector and he will get back to me in a few minutes with the resolution to getting it to me via next day air to arrive on Thursday?
      I write an email to Joel Montejo, cc to Hector that I am frustrated that the order is not arriving on Thursday. I also request my $27 for expedited shipping be refunded.
      Get an email at 1751 that the order has been shipped. "3 to 5 business days" arrival expected on Monday. Shipping charges are still on there.
      Wednesday: 1900 I write emails to Sean McWherter - founder and CEO. He's in California. He is on Facebook touting all the new cars he is driving and showing off. Great? How about paying attention to providing good customer service?
      Thursday 17:00 get an email from Joel Montiejo, sorry. We will refund your shipping. [You better have!]

Never heard from Sean, Joel, Hector or the other founder...... they takes your money and runs....

I should have ordered it anywhere but Autoplicity.
      It should be called DUplicity. That's probably what they meant to call it from the beginning!

Friday: 18:30 Waterpump kit arrives via UPS. Shipped from Maryland.
      Monday the following week: 1830 The hoses and valve cover gaskets arrive

No communications from Autoplicity
    • By Lexus Luddite
      I obviously have a low mileage RX300 since it's a 2003. I'm the second owner having bought it certified from a Lexus dealership back in 2006.
      I recently moved and found an independent shop with fantastic reviews that specializes in Japanese cars. They've quoted $950 for the 90k service including changing the timing belt.
      I'm definitely doing the timing belt because mine is 5 or 6 years older than most who were doing their 90k service on this forum. I don't want to risk major engine damage and the car is still in great shape. Aside from regular oil checks (use synthetic oil BTW), my only maintenance costs in nearly 10 years have been exhaust related, ball joints & sway bars, tires, brake pads and a battery. Not sure if it's been a major contributing factor but I'm someone who lets the engine warm up in every season - especially winter - so maybe that's helped reduce engine damage.
      My question is if I plan to keep the car for another several years should I replace the water pump and thermostat too as a preventative measure and since my car is 12 years old and I probably wont put more than 5 to 8k miles on the car per year. Are there other items you would consider too?