Knock sensors experience

Gitano

I recently bought a 2000 rx300, I have always been avoiding expensive cars because of the price you have to pay for up keep. Now it's too late I either sink or swim.  Check engine light came on shortly after, had it read at the zone and learned. 

Po171.Po330. Po171.

So they say I need to replace the (MAF) 

After reading about it I knew that it was not my main problem.

I joined the Lexus Club and checked and watched videos of plenty of the problems encountered by rx300 99- 03.

So I dove in and hacked no.1 to no.2,  I also checked both with an om. meter No. 1 had continuity which according  to what I have been reading it's shorting out, so that is the bad one the other  had no read out.

So a few days later I have Overdrive problems, I was already planning  on fixing the problem the right way. I just ordered the parts so I can dive in see if I'm going to be a happy Lexus owner, I hope  I am because  I really like this one. I will let you know when I have.

I also ordered a MAF sensor.

Thank you Fernandolpa for the head's up on the Lid Cam Cover gaskets and yes I'm not rushing in it will be all I can get to for sure. I'm lucky  I have a 30×30 shop with almost everything for vehicle or wood  plus. My rx had The sel on and 190,000 when I bought it I have taken three trips to Dallas close to two hundred miles each, cruise control at 80 there and back mad house traffic it seems  if I drive easy no hot rod I don't get the spastic trans trip. Smooth silent ride great for stereo listening. I love it.

I also want to thank Salim and all the rest of the Gurus posting their experience, yes what you can't  get from a book.

I will be writhing about it and include the list of part no. And special tools that make it easier  l'm considering  also cleaning or replacing the injectors depending on the shape they are in my friend has a 1996 Toyota land cruiser that has over one million miles and is still in great shape, like brand new.

I'm very happy now I used all Denso parts in the critical places and my Lex rx is running  great now I made one  mistake along the way so in the end I tried to start the motor and it turned but would not run, so I checked everything again and found the ground wire that I missed connecting it was on the passenger side of the IMA I figure it is a ground wire for the fuel pump,  I'm not sure all I know is when I connected it started right up and ran smooth. I also put  new Iridium sparks,  it had Autolights and the gap all different in every one and wide open to the point of ridiculous. 

The knock sensors connectors  came apart when I tried to release the connection the connecting wire on one of them was covered with white powder like the white powder on battery  terminals they looked like they were the original sensors lasted 200,000. Miles. It is a great experience to see the way and quality they put in this vehicles. No cel light feels good going down the road in Cruise control in overdrive doing 80 mph.

Edited by Gitano
Work in process

Welcome to the club. It is true that are a lot of problems about the car in the forums, but normally nobody writes to say that all os perfect! Good thing about it, you can find all solutions on the forums. 

My experience after several cars and many miles, is that the only one that I keep in my garage is the RX. Now I also own a Volvo XC60 and I always get the Lexus for long trips, so guess why.

About the knock sensors, replace both at the same time, even you have a message for one. If you do it yourself it is just a matter of time and patience. I also suggest to replace (if  it was not done before) the lid cam cover gaskets. Specailly the rear one that suffers more as has more heat. Don't forget to change the spark plush, rear set is a headache but once you start is better to do all at the same time.

So far I am very happy with the car. 168.000 miles, cruising at 90 MPH, doing off road as well and still solid.