LS400 Odometer correction

itsdancarl

Hi i'm new to the forum, I searched already if this subject exists, didn't see anything close to my situation. I have a 1994 Lexus LS400. I bought the car from a sketchy guy, but the car was clean and i believed 178k miles sounded right. after owning the car a month I Car Fax'd it finding out that as of August 2007 it had 234k miles, and May 2010 it was found to have 190k miles. the next owner drove it to 246k miles as of August 2012. within the same owner, during another service, it was documented at 208k miles. He then sold it to me at 178k miles. I know he rolled it back and tampered with it, because the capacitors went out (Normal issue) and i had a professional change them. This car has OBD1 so I don't completely know how to roll it forward to be honest with the mileage, or even if its legal. any suggestions, thanks!

Hi Dan...welcome to the Forum

That's really unfortunate about the 'clocked' mileage and it happens in the UK too.

I think if you have documented history of the car, it's not too much of an issue about what the odometer states.

Probably best to leave it like it is and then at least you haven't had any involvement in altering the mileage as well.

Cheers   Trevor

An odometer adjusted to show more the correct mileage should not be a problem, the problem is when someone makes it less than it should be. So showing the higher miles is a good thing especially since these cars do seem to have the meters go out occasionally.