1999 LS 400 should I keep and repair?

Gym Rat

Hi Folks,

I have a 1999 LS400 with 214,000 mi. I just took it in for service at the dealer and it needs $2800 in repairs to replace engine and transmission mounts, lateral strut rods have worn out bushings and gasket and hoses need to be replaced. In Jan. the transmission shifter shaft was resealed, replaced exhaust manifold and a trans pan gasket for $2600. In 2015 I paid $1100 to replace valve cover gaskets and dipstick O ring.  The car has been maintained and the body and interior are in good shape. Should I keep this car or is it time to trade it in?

Hi Theresa, I too have a 99 LS400 with 206k miles on it... and let me tell you, you are having your car fixed at the WRONG place.. At 200k I had my timing belt, water pump and all the support bearings ans seals for the new belt & pump, also all the pulleys on the front of the engine, plus the engine and transmission mounts, and new valve cover gaskets and sparkplugs and tube seals and spent 1460.00 for all of it.. NEVER go to a dealer, they will take advantage of you big time.

I dont know where you live, but post again with the name of your town/city and see if anyone on here knows of a mechanic there that works on LS's.. this is a forum to help others

mine looks like this

my99.jpg

Billy is correct, and that is the bad thing about not being a do it yourself person.  For your first job depending on where the parts would be purchased your looking at maybe $300 of parts.  And all the rest in labor.

On the second adventure,  was less than $100. of parts, the rest labor.

On the 2015 adventure it was less than $100. in parts and the rest labor.

So you spent $6500  in parts and labor.

New 2016 Lexus  $700. per month payments, plus down payment on a lease, is $8400. a year not including insurance gas and normal up keep.

So spending 6500 a year would be money ahead. Take some automotive fix it classes and learn how to do some of the work, and not get ripped off.