Speedometer, odometer, cruise control broken

jaredmac11

1997 Es300.

Several months back, my odometer, speedometer, and cruise control stopped working.  It was just a flash at first, maybe once a week.  Then it seemed to go out for a month then came back, then it went away for good.

I replaced both vehicle speed sensors.  Both taken from a Lexus ES300 transmission from a salvage yard.  I also plugged in 2 instrument clusters from that yard.  Neither of these seemed to fix the issue.  I have read from ONE source that the ABS wheel speed sensor could lead to this issue.  I was working on the brakes on the driver front side a bit before this started to happen, so maybe the issue is tied together here.  The part is coming in at the end of the month.

Has anyone ran in to this issue?  What resolved it?  Google hasnt been all too helpful.  The issue seems to be sporadic from the 2-wire VSS, the 3-wire VSS (goes deep in to the transmission), or bad instrument cluster wiring

Edit:  Only hesitation regarding the Wheel Speed sensor is that I only have the CEL, blanked odometer, non functioning Cruise control and a non-functioning speedometer.  I do NOT have any other lights, ABS or otherwise.

So I found a useful PDF that overviews the P0500 and the diagnosing that error code.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006/162972d1264627042-speed-sensor-p0500-dtc.pdf

I checked continuity and that test passed.  I put the key in the ignition and set it to on and I got 18v on the pin.  The PDF says I should get 9-14v.  What could that mean?

OK so I did a few more tests..  At the ECU and plug, I get voltage (18V) and continuity.

At the 3-prong connector at the speed sensor, I get continuity and 12V.

At the 2-prong connector, I get continuity,b ut I get no voltage with the key engaged.  Could anyone confirm if the engien has to be started to get voltage at this switch?