I need help

I have a 06 Lexus gs 300.  like most it is burning oil and the low oil indicator comes on 2500 miles after oil change.

So on Saturday I was sititing in the car with the air on while on a 40 minute conference call and noticed a weird smell(like electrical).  So after the call, I drove to McDonalds to grab a bite and noticed soon after I placed the order my steering wheel started to lock up.  I thought I was against the curb!!!!!  Then after 1 minute the car shut off in the drive thru lane.  I feared the worst!  I tried to start the vehicle and it would not start as if the battery was dead.  I pushed the car over to a parking spot and left it there overnight.  When I returned the next day, I said let me see if it will start.  It did and I drove it 2 miles to my football meeting.  After the meeting, I drove it home 12 miles and noticed that weird burning smell again.

Anyone know what the issue could be??  Thanks

Hi John...welcome to the Club!

It sounds like you have a problem with an auxiliary drivebelt which is attached to the power steering, alternator and probably air conditioning as well.

The problem may be with one of the connected auxiliaries or a guide pulley going faulty and probably seizing then the belt is dragging over the pulleys hence the burning smell and loss of battery power. Once the battery has recovered in the morning then it will restart but will fail again later.

You will need to take it in to replace the drivebelt and find out why it went in the first place.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers   Trevor 

Thanks Trevor,

I took ok it by Napa to get a test of battery, starter and the alternator. The test came back as a bad alternator. Not sure about the pullies or belts. May need to take it in for full diagnosis 

thanks

john

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I had a similar problem.  I just bought this car less than 24 hours ago on a cash deal, from a non franchise car dealership.  I got it home and drove it around yesterday and a little bit today.  When I pulled in the garage, I noticed the battery light on and a weird burning smell.  It smelled electrical to me.  I hooked my car jumper up to it to get a battery/alternator read to see if it was low voltage and possibly the alternator.  Then the car shut off, everything was dead except a couple LED lights.  Now EVERYTHING is dead and my car jumper is stuck in the trunk.  I tested the battery, which is brand new, and it only had 2.4 volts on it.  I used a hand held volt meter this time.  How could a new battery drain so quickly like that.  It seems like a complete short that was draining the battery so quickly.

ANY THOUGHTS?