Lift gate handle

Mlr61

Need to remove hatch trim over license plate to replace handle. Found 3 10mm nuts and a couple plastic darts holding it.  But when I tried to take nuts off the bolts turn , with no way to hold the bolts because they are under trim don't know how to proceed. Any help appreciated.

2000. RX300

Edited by Mlr61
Incomplete

I think the only way forward is to break the trim off (if you are going to replace the trim with the handle integrated into it) or if not, try grinding the nuts off but you will probably damage the threads on the bolts/studs.

Anyone come across this before?

I just wanted time chime in here. I just removed mine to fix the handle and a couple of the nuts were rusted on and spun in the plastic garnish.  Just pull it off..  It had no effect on the garnish.  You never pull on the ends and the latch has two bolts which carry the weight when you lift the door.  

Also, if you are replacing it because it no longer resets, it can be cleaned and re-used.  Just clean the crud off the spring and axle.  I used non-chlorinated brake cleaner on the metal parts, then re-lubed with silicone spray.  Works like new again.