Lexus Rx330 Radiator

rxdude330

My Lexus Rx330 (2004 with 54000mile) apparently had a radiator leak. The mechanic put a new one in November 2013 (cost me almost $1000). Now July of 2016 (66000), little over 2 years and only 12000 miles later he says its leaking again and of course it is out of warranty. Not sure  what to do at this point. I just can't keep on replacing Radiator every couple of years. 

Can you guys help me out.. and tell me is there is any particular brand better that the other. 

Thanks

What color fluid is leaking from your car?  That is key in determine what's wrong. I borrowed this from the web:

Fluid Investigator - 007
by Lauren Fix, The Car Coach

www.laurenfix.com

Do you have a fluid leak under your car or truck? Here’s a simple way to be your own private investigator. If you’re not sure whether you are losing oil, transmission fluid, coolant or brake fluid, here is a simple, but effective method for finding who or what caused it! 

Place an old sheet or large piece of white cardboard under the vehicle overnight. In the morning you will have your answer. Each fluid is a different color to help you diagnose the answers. 

If the leaks have the following color, you have a good indication of what fluid you are leaking. 

Bright Green:  radiator coolant, this is also very slippery to the touch. 
Light or Dark Brown:  if you change the oil often it will be a light brown, if not the fluid will be a darker brown. Make sure to change your engine oil every 3-5000 miles. 
Bright Blue:  windshield washer fluid. (Winter washer fluids can be orange, pink or yellow). 
Light Brown:  if there is also a strong odor of rotten eggs, this is 90 weight or gear lube. It may be leaking from the rear axle center section or the manual transmission. 
Red Fluid:  Automatic transmission fluid or power steering fluid. Note where the fluid is coming from – it could be long life coolant 
Clear:  Power steering fluid or water from the condenser on the A/C unit. 
Light Yellow:  Brake fluid is light yellow when new as it absorbs water the fluid becomes a dark muddy brown. Brake fluid absorbs 2% water over a one year period under normal braking conditions. This is a very important fluid and should be changed every other year. 
Amber:  Gasoline, but there will be a distinct odor. 

The location of the leak could also be a dead giveaway. Being a good sleuth make it obvious to conclude that there will not likely be an anti-freeze leak in the back of the vehicle. 

The government tints fluids different colors for safety reasons. This will assist you during maintenance schedules too. 

Keep a sharp eye on your vehicle; leaks can be frustrating and even dangerous. If you’re unsure go to a professional certified mechanic and ask for help. Even James Bond will ask for help at times.

Thank you for the post. However, This is definitely a coolant leak. I can see red tint at the bottom of the car. My mechanic tells me there is a leak in the radiator. However, as I mentioned in my post, the radiator is only little over 2 years old with 12000miles. I guess I have to trust this mechanic since I am not knowledgable in automobile mechanics. 

It is infuriating that radiator leaked after just 2 years. So I just wanted to know if there is a better brand that will last a long time. 

Thank you

With the advent of aluminum radiators having plastic end caps this has become a common problem for many makes.  The leaks typically occur at the "seal" between the aluminum core and the plastic end caps.  It's usually the product of poor (cheap) materials combined with poor workmanship.  I don't know if the radiators available from your friendly Lexus Parts Department are any better or not.  Most all the El Cheapo imports are manufactured in China and often last until the warranty runs out.  Sadly, although the cost of the radiator itself is typically not too bad, the labor cost to remove and reinstall one is where the real pain is as you are well aware.  If you are going to opt for another replacement, I'd probably spring for an OEM radiator from the dealer provided they could convince me it was a Genuine Lexus (Toyota) part.  Also, this might be a good time to take a look at the available cooling system sealants available at your local Autozone, Advance, NAPA, etc.  Things really have improved over the years and I don't see that you've got a lot to lose at this point.

Let us know how things turn out. 

• Like 1

Thank you Firehorse, that by far is the most helpful suggestion I have received. I called Lexus they want almost $1000.00 to replace with 1 year warranty. I found one at JC Whitney for $170.00 with 2 years warranty (Plus if I pay $35.00 extra, they will give me life time warranty). The latter sounds much better deal to me and cost half the money. Its tempting go with that, but if keeps on breaking on me, I may have to consider just selling the car.