GPS Navigation System

I have an older model - 2002 ES300. It does not have a built in GPS. I have seen the same model with built in GPS. My question, can I install one? I raed somewhere that if it didnt come with one trying to install one will not work. Any truth to this?

Thank you

HI Derrick.

I think your right. I have heard that if the car your working on did not come with the navigation unit,.it can be impossible  to add a new system. One of the major problems is there are no wiring harness's and other issues . I do know that there are non OEM for mounting in the dash.

Paul 

On a 14 year old vehicle it might be more practical to mount a portable GPS to a sticky pad on the top of the dash.  You cold even hide the power cord for it inside the dash.  Here is a photoshopped image.

2002 ES300 with Garmin GPS photoshopped in.jpg

Nice pic showing the mount. I use the air vent mount instead because I can remove it easily and it wont leave a mark on the dash. I fit the GPS on the right air vent using the air vent mount and it holds it firmly. Since I don't use it very often I remove it when its not needed. It would surely look nice if I could get one that fits like the custom made one. Thanks guys for the feedback.