600 lbs motorcycle hitch carrier on 99 RX300

tdnguyen

I have a 1999 RX300 and I will use it to transport my motorcycle to the race track next week. I'm going to install the class III hitch receiver and motorcycle hitch carrier. The total weight of motorcycle and carrier will be around 550 lbs which is ok for the class III receiver, but I'm more concerning about the car since it a small SUV. Will it able to carry the load? 

I really appreciate any help. Sorry for my bad English.

As long as you don't have the vehicle loaded down with 4-5 passengers and accompanying luggage you should be OK.  At 500 pounds that is like 2-3 passengers which is a lot - especially if you have the back storage area full of tools, spare parts, etc.  That transmission was not Toyota's (Lexus') finest hour either.  I think you're pretty much on the edge with that much weight hanging off the back bumper.

I agree. The RX300 wasn't made for the heavy duty hauling. I know I overloaded mine one time helping a friend move his stuffs out of his apartment to his new home and the distance was only a short 5 miles but I could feel that the vehicle was having a challenge pulling the trailer with, who knows how many pounds worth of household items on it. 

• 5 months later...

I had an RX300 until quite recently, had a hitch receiver put on and pulled an enclosed 8' trailer full of 800 lbs. of art festival items, or my BMW 650 motorcycle up and down CO Rockies. I've never had an issue with it. My mechanic did talk me out of a motorcycle carrier on the hitch receiver - he says unless the bike is really light (Trials, 125cc, etc), most vehicles aren't built to carry that much weight on the back end - stresses out the suspension. A trailer's weight is partially supported by its tires. FWIW

BTW, I'm looking for a light-colored RX300 w/ less than 150K miles if anyone knows of one for sale anywhere in CO. I had an encounter with a deer which did not end well for my RX.