Service Scam

I brought my 2010 RX 350 AWD to the dealer for it’s 60K mile oil change, air filter and brake fluid replacement, and the list of various vehicle 60K inspections.

The service rep called me over and said that the he recommended the following work:
-    replace the main drive belt which was fraying ($215 parts & labor)
-    drain & refill front / rear differentials which he said had darkened oil ($204 parts & labor)
-    replace the vent valve sub-assembly which he said was bad ($87 parts & labor)
-    replace the motor inside the steering column which was intermittently squealing ($3,000 parts & labor...SO MUCH FOR LEXUS RELIABILITY).

What upsets me most is being advised to drain & fill the differentials at 60K miles.   I had an AWD Mountaineer for 10 years & 130K miles and never touched the differentials.   

The 60K maintenance list says to “inspect” the differential oil, but it seems the dealerships use that as a way to squeeze more money from the service visit, advising that the “fluid doesn’t look good.”   WHY IN THE WORLD SHOULD I NEED NEW DIFFERENTIAL OIL ON A LEXUS THAT COST OVER $45K, WITH ONLY 60K MILES ON IT...WHEN MY OLDER SUVS NEVER NEEDED SUCH WORK?

I went online and found several other owners complaining of EXACTLY the same thing at their 60K mile service visits.   Has Lexus prepped their service reps to scam up differential fuid service when it’s not needed?   Sure seems that way.

I have emailed the above to Lexus corporate.  

Unless you drag race the thing or pull huge vehicles frequently, I can't see any reason to change it either. It probably depends on how long YOU plan to keep the vehicle. IF you plan to keep it forever, probably not a bad move but if you only keep cars 10 years or so, just another expense it seems.  

• 9 months later...

Ken, dealers are purportedly not selling as many cars these days. I suspect most dealers pay for their operating costs through their service areas, so this may explain why the service recommendations and fees are pushed onto us.