1st time Lexus owner 2nd time driving GX470

RJ Myers

I came to know a Gx470 when delivering a car for an employer.  At the time I had never driven a nicer SUV.  I remember it felt, light and nimble, plenty of power, and for sure it was the nicest ride of any cars/trucks I had owned in the past.  new 2008 Tacoma, pathfinders, fullsize chevy 1500, Cadillac northstar,  etc. 

My wifes vw TDI wagon was stolen recently so we were in the market to find a new car that fit the bill for a growing family.  I ended up buying a silver 04' with 127k on it.  My wife wanted a 4runner, they are hard to find here and overpriced at least 2k more than bluebook.  I think we did better than that with this buy

We paid 9800, it has clean interior no dash lights except the tire sensor light (solid).  The second day I noticed the speedometer works when it wants to,dang.  The tires don't match and the rears are cracked, and hum at hwy speeds.   wheels are oxidized, paint worn in a few places.  clean interior as a real estate agent owned it before.  3rd owners

I have only been through the first quarter of the manual, but I keep wondering why the ride feels like it is bouncy?  The comfort setting is pretty wallowy, whereas the sport setting is pretty stiff in the rear.   Today with the dial set halfway in the middle we hit some kind of a bump/pothole that made it feel like the rear end bottomed out.  At hwy speeds, the weight of the car just blew through the travel to a pretty abrupt thump in the rear.   I have only driven in the N mode so far, as I haven't figured out what to do for selecting different ride heights.   I did try once while in park, idling to select the low mode for in town driving,   the indicator blinked in Lo, but when I remembered to look again, it was back in N ride height.

I noticed a couple of things that I want to sort out but I think we are going to love this car.  I would like to restore the ride quality.  Do I need shocks?  saw rock auto has them for $176 each.   Or do I need to get new rear airbags?  I would probably swap to coilovers if this is a high $$$ repair.

I am ordering timing belt parts in a couple of days to have a friend install, I thought asking here would help if I need to order more parts at the same time.

I am also going to try my hand at restoring the corrosion on the wheels.  The PO didn't even wash the rims from what I can tell.  

The wife loves her new car, we are proud new owners.

What tires seem the best for this ride?   Michelins?

all the best.

RJ

It doesn't look like we have the KDSS.  I just verified on the rear axle,  we have the large air vertical accordion looking bag but not the smaller vertical one just behind the spare.

You don't say how many miles - but assuming it is over 100K you need struts! Also check the setting of your ride control if you have it.   I've got a 2007 V8 I bought in 2011 for about $35K.   The GX470 supposedly is the best 4 wheel drive because it's on a 4-Runner frame (the best 4 wheel drive vehicle)  Michelin tires are the best I've had on it, however the last time I went with some new Good Years that are a close at 2/3rds the price of Michelins.  

Our GXs 470 are the big brother to the Landcruiser same mechanics just more creature features.... I wanted a Landcruiser but ended up with a GX 470, no regrets only I find myself prissing on the Lexus more then I would have on the Toyota....People who drive Lexus have an image to maintain, more so then Toyota. By no means downing the Landcruiser, just Lexus deserve that little extra care,,,I hate it sometimes, but on the other hand a clean Lexus is  a must. You don't drive a dirty Lexus..... Enjoy your new ride, it will take you far.. Happy Wheeling.. Miche;in AT 2 are the best no road  noise excellent on off road capabilities, they last,,,,My ride 140,000 and going strong, and by the way go get a K&N air filter right now, you will gain some bester mpg, 50 bucks or so but the best thing you can d0 for your  GX, Go do it right now easy to do ..I could keep going on and on different inexpensive things to improve and maintain the longevity of your truck.....