RX300 '03 Center Drive Shaft Joint

DrewTran

Hi, I'm new to this forum!! I recently brought in my car for an oil change and was informed that I should replace the center drive shaft joint because of failure and to replace the front diff. pinon seal because it is leaking. The charges are a bit hefty and was wondering if theres any alternative to bringing it to a different shop rather than the Lexus dealership. 

Also, the car tends to vibrate when I drive around 70-80mph and it squeaks when I accelerate and when I drive slowly (backing out the drive-way, etc.) Could this be related to the center drive shaft? 

Thank you for the help! 

Any good independent Toyota/Lexus shop should be happy to do that work for you.  The parts costs won't differ much but the labor charges should be less - perhaps 25-30% -  than your dealer quote.  The vibration may be related to the failing center U-joint on the drive shaft.  If the joint is making that much vibration you need to get it replaced now or have your AAA policy paid up. Once the drive shaft problem is resolved you can then begin to look for the source of other squeaks, creaks, and groans.  It would be good if you could find someone to recommend an indy shop they have used.  Failing that, be sure to go online to the local BBB to check the shop's track record in dealing with the public.

Good luck.