Replace Headlights???

Hello all, new member here...

I just received my fathers 2004 Lexus RX330 and while the vehicle is in great condition, the headlights are majorly discolored.  He was going to get them repaired at the dealership and from what I was told, the mechanic said that the discoloration is on the inside and not the outside so he stopped.  Now, I have been looking on Ebay and I can get some replacement headlights, but my question is this.  His lights are the Halogen based lights, appears pretty easy to swap out as I have been looking at them.  However, what about changing out to the Xeon HID type lights?  Has anyone done this?  Can it be done?  As I am not sure how long I will keep the vehicle I will probably go with the least expensive and easiest method.  Just asking...

Thanks, I did some searches, but didn't find anything on this.

Great question and I think I have a great answer.  

Having been through the plastic cleaner polish I'll just say this. Perfect IF you are selling or cheap. After watching the clear headlights fade back to nasty in a month, I now buy new assemblies and just replace them with wicked clear, shinny new lights. They aren't much, I've paid between $60 and $110 for sets, mainly from a company called Eagle Eyes which I found on Amazon. I have replaced them on my Nissan Frontier, Toyota Corolla and Chevy Silverado and a few others for other people.

If you have a few ounces of patience, a few fairly basic tools, and somewhat technical ability, it is a fairly easy straightforward job. There are how to videos on youtube. Best to carefully study the procedure and then attack. Every set of aftermarket lights I have bought fit and worked perfectly. These lights also look great.

Thanks for this.  I checked out the Amazon information and the supply for this model is limited...  I guess my second question would be are the two versions plug and play?  Use the same connectors?

Yes, all of the light assemblies I have ordered have been plug in and most came with new bulbs. I need to replace the headlights on the 2004 ES330 I own (but which my daughter commandeered) as they are fading even though it is kept in garage.

Try using a $25 Sylvania headlight restoration kit - available online or at auto part stores.  The final step is applying a clear coat (it smells like lacquer) that will keep the lenses clear for a few years.  I've restored a number of awful looking headlight lenses to like new condition with these kits.

Don't listen to VBdenny.  "His mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries." -->

Glad you clarified which Denny on that one LS. Ha. I do Hate when people find that out. Ahh.  Yeah the sprays do work well and have that "almost" original look but. Me liking to take stuff apart and unable to sit and watch TV with my wife, gives me stuff to do. I figure since the replacements are often some dadgummed cheap that is the way to go. Haven't prices out those ES330 replacements in awhile but I do remember them being pricy.

To the new Denny, welcome. Rest assured that LS400 knows a lot about ELDERberries.

Thanks to all... I was going to attempt the spray and restore kits, but my father was told by a Lexus mechanic at the dealership that the discoloration was on the inside of the headlight, not on the outside.

The discoloration is on the outside ,, the lenses are made of polycarbonate (same stuff as your 2liter bottles and sunglass lenses) .. in fact polycarbonate blocks 99%+ of the UV light... Most Toyota's and Lexus' headlights are very easy to clean up as they don't generally have bumps and protrusions... You can buy new ones as there are many aftermarket replacements (usually sold as crash parts to body shops) but you can get excellent results in about 30 minutes... here's how..

Determine how bad the lenses are...

Wet sand if necessary with 800 (stop when yellow ends and white begins) then 1200 and finally 1500 grit wet-or-dry ... RINSE

Using your polisher on low speed buff the lenses with Meguiers "Blue Magic" Plastic Polish or equivalent on a terry pad... (high speeds may burn the plastic)

If available spray with a clearcoat paint to stop oxidation of the newly polished finish.

I'd polish them ,, replacements seem to be $100+ a side and changing them takes quite a bit of time.  http://www.partsgeek.com/658skgr-lexus-rx330-headlight-assembly.html?utm_source=shoppingcom&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=ac&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShoppingCom&fp=pp&utm_term=Lexus+Headlight+Assembly

Nope. Plastic deteriorates from the outside the most but ozone and UV just destroy the clarity. Yes, you ca polish them out and they'll look good for awhile, but in the end new is still new. 

Look at this thread that shows before and after photos of when I restored the headlight lenses of the 2000 LS400 I used to have.  The headlights came out looking like new:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/74083-headlight-cover-oxidation/#comment-456058

I since determined that the Sylvania kit is even better than the Crystal View kit.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I haven't locked down any solutions yet, but thought I would show the headlights.  You can see the hazing and the discolorations near the turn signal. 

WP_20160706_17_40_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20160706_17_41_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20160706_17_41_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20160706_17_41_28_Pro.jpg

I would replace the headlight assemblies.  They are fairly inexpensive and not overly difficult to install. Your look really bad and you'll love the crisp new look.

• Like 1

I have changed the headlight assemblies on several cars and trucks and have never once had to touch the bumper. The change mainly involves unscrewing things and then reassembling.  All pretty straight forward and some cars are easier than others but if you have any mechanical abilities at all, this is not an impossible job. Yes, it does require some studying of the parts and how it is installed but that is what car stuff is all about.

Somebody put it together so you can take it apart. (famous quote)

denny