LS 430 Trunk Lifter problems

Stan Denman

I have a 2006 Lexus ls 430 Ultra edition that I bought used 6 years ago.  the truck worked like a dream.  Would hold in any position you left it in, and would never slam.  If you let go of the truck at mid point it would gentling descend, and the "soft close" motor would engage and it would quietly lache.  Over time this performance eroded.  the soft close mot still works, but it took effort to open and close.  Sewell her in Dallas quoted my wife $700 to fix it!

So looking for a more reasonable repair I purchased truck struts from liftinsupport.com through Amazon.  I matched the correct vehicle and year, and had no trouble installing.  Now you can let go anyplace above mid-point and the truck will stay.  Go much below mid-point, however, and the truck will slam.  Any advice?

I suppose you could try other aftermarket struts or go back to OEM struts to get OEM behavior.  Or just tolerate what you have since the aftermarket struts you installed work as well as they do.

I've replaced LS hood struts several (four?) times and always went with OEM due to reported problems with aftermarket struts.  Sure, OEM struts cost a lot more but they always performed like the ones installed when the cars were manufactured.

I would first contact liftsupport.com and explain the issue with what they sent. Sounds like you need stronger struts (more gas charge) than you were given. They were very helpful with a strut issue I had on my LS430 at no charge.

Worth a try before going OEM.

• 5 months later...