Map Update

Hi Lenny and welcome.

Your question is pretty common but the answers seem to be different with each manufacturer. In the GPS early days, Lexus did their updates by DVD. You could only get that disc from Lexus/dealer. Now, Lexus uses a direct satellite download to your navigation system.

In some cases you may not be able to update this way because I think Lexus started this download function in 2013. So any nav unit installed in your car if you have a 2012 or older.

There seems to be several ways/places to buy the software. E-bay, is a good place to look and local audio and GPS sellers may be able to find it from one of there vendors. Also, just Google for Lexus navigation updates.

Below is a link to our data library with several entries. Yes, there are some old entries but it was easier to give you the whole string then trying to sort the entire topic. There will probably be more folks chime in with more ideas.

Paul

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/search/?&q=navigation%20map%20upgrade&type=forums_topic

The navigation system of the 2013 ES is updated though USB and requires software that only Lexus dealers and some repair shops have:  http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/

The navigation "update" for the 2013 ES is an activation card that has an authorization code that the Lexus dealer will use when he uploads the update to your nav system.  You don't get the nav update itself when you buy the activation card. 

Our Prius has a very similar "generation 7" nav system.  If you have a Costco card, you can get the navigation update at a discount through the Costco Auto Program which I did when I updated our 2014 Sienna nav system with the 2015 nav update.

Thanks Jim for correcting my errors re: the nav update. In my recollection this topic has always been one that changes from update to update. A little like my 2007 Volvo S80. The DVD disc was in the trunk, and if you didn't know that you went nuts trying to figure out where the update DVD went. 

You always share your expertise generously and accurately. Thanks for being a highly regarded member.

Paul

I was out and about today and while out I stopped into my Lexus dealer. They offered some information that may flush out some helpful details. In terms of using a USP portal to upload the new maps, the update comes as a thumb drive. It takes 1 hour to 1 and a quarter hours to do the upload. The process is not fool proof. Sometimes the new software burps and it has to be done all over again.

Updates come out in November. So it would make sense to wait to do your update in November of this year. 

Also, the price for the thumb drive is $80.00 and the labor is $169.00. This used to be the promotional price now and then, now Lexus has made this price the permanent price.

Paul

On May 5, 2016 at 4:40 PM, pj8708 said:

I was out and about today and while out I stopped into my Lexus dealer. They offered some information that may flush out some helpful details. In terms of using a USP portal to upload the new maps, the update comes as a thumb drive. It takes 1 hour to 1 and a quarter hours to do the upload. The process is not fool proof. Sometimes the new software burps and it has to be done all over again.

Updates come out in November. So it would make sense to wait to do your update in November of this year. 

Also, the price for the thumb drive is $80.00 and the labor is $169.00. This used to be the promotional price now and then, now Lexus has made this price the permanent price.

Paul

Paul,  I called a local Lexus dealer a day or 2 ago and got  very different info on prices.  The price for the thumb drive is $169, and the labor to install is $99.  

If you can get the thumb drive for $80, please tell me where.

Lenny

10 hours ago, LennyF said:

Paul,  I called a local Lexus dealer a day or 2 ago and got  very different info on prices.  The price for the thumb drive is $169, and the labor to install is $99.  

Lenny

Look at the link I provided.  The Lexus dealer uses his "master" USB drive.  You buy only an activation card for a 2013 ES350 which is a license to use the information on the dealer's master USB drive.  You are not buying a "thumb drive".

14 hours ago, LennyF said:

Lenny

Before we check back, lets try using Jim's suggestion and see if that will work without more expense

4 hours ago, pj8708 said:

My local dealer was quite clear,  my cost is $169 and they provide the thumb drive.  I do have the option to buy the drive alone or w/installation,  $99.

At least the "cost is $169 and they provide the thumb drive" is correct in that it is the retail price of the activation card that has the license key and the dealer uses his master USB flash memory drive to do the update.  I suggest that you just go to a Lexus dealer for the update and find out exactly how it works.  I'm not doing a good job of explaining it.

• 8 months later...