2016 RX 350 underbody rusting

Good evening all, 

my wife and I just purchased a 2016 Lexus RX. We have been super excited about the new purchase. However, while waling up my driveway today, I noticed that there was some decent rusting underneath the car. We have only owned it for 3 days now. I am sure the car has sat at the dealerships inventory lot but I didn't expect ANY rusting of a brand new car. Is this normal? I sent an email to the dealership we bought from and hope to hear something tomorrow. I have only bought 1 other new car, a corolla and to this day I have little to no rusting on the underbody.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

Were you able to find out any additional information? I purchased the same vehicle a month ago and have the same issue. I sent a picture to my dealer today. I have not heard anything just yet.

Thanks!

Kim

Lexus.jpg

That is the exhaust, not the underbody. It rusts very easily due to the heat and inferior materials used. If it was a stainless steal exhaust it wouldn't rust so easily, but then again the vehicle would cost much more. In a vechile in this price range they should be using stainless steal like the German manufactures do, but I don't believe any of the Japanese manufactures do. This is a Toyota quality that is carried over.

I doubt the dealer will do anything. They will tell you it's covered under warranty and only if it completely rusts all the way through and leaks will they replace it. 

• 3 weeks later...

That is not alarming.  It is an exhaust flange, subject to surface rust literally within months of production.  Yes, I would have the dealer take a look at it and see what they say.  If they do not feel it is a problem, you can take care of it yourself.  Take a wire brush and brush off as much of the rust as you can. Cover with one coat of gray Rust-O-Leum spray primer.  If the color matches close enough to your satisfaction, spray a second coat.  If it does not, buy a can of ROL rust-proof enamel in the right color, and spray a final coat with that.

There are a few underside parts that will discolor from surface rust, and do so faster if you are in the snow belt. They can all be treated as described above if you wish to avoid further rust of that part.