Rx330 nav system swap

New to the this form as we've I've just picked up a used  04' RX330 (204k) to go with our 04' sportcross :)

And didn't see anything related to this after searching forms.

I picked up a original indash rx330 nav system. Anyone know if it's simple plug and play swap to with non nav system

Appreciate feedback

ad_0_1460086484579.jpg

ad_5_1460086484596.jpg

My '07 came with the NAV system, and personally I would not waste the time trying to install one. My NAV is vague, and difficult to use in almost all aspects, and it is working "properly". The separate manual for it is about 1/2 " thick, and reading it would also be a waste of time, when you could plug in a Garmin , Tom Tom, or other GPS unit and have it operating in just a few seconds. I did enlist the assistance of a Lexus tech which helped with the shortcuts, but the system is still as I stated previously. In his words Lexus builds fine cars, not fine NAV systems. I guess my point is even if you are looking at plug & play, prepare to be somewhat disappointed. Good luck.

• Like 2

Looking at the parts diagram for the 2004 RX navigation system, it's not even close to plug and play.  Did you also get the navigation DVD drive with its bracket that go in the back of the RX, the microphone and bracket that goes in the headliner, the different switch module for the steering wheel, the backup camera, the nav antenna and cable and all the miscellaneous parts and cables to bring it all together?

The 2004 RX had a generation 2/3 navigation system.   The final map update for gen 2/3 was in 2013 which pretty much means that even Toyota has given up on it.  To put it in perspective, most current Lexus vehicles have generation 9 navigation systems.

I have to agree with zieke on this one except that newer navigation systems used in more recent Toyota and Lexus vehicles compare quite favorably with Garmin and TomTom except that we still like getting the free map updates for our Garmins four times per year.  We use our Garmins only in rental cars.

• Like 1

Thanks Zieke and 1990ls400!!!

I only have the head unit!! No dvd or mic or......too bad there are so many components and the system sucks. Wanted the stock look to stay intact. Looks like I'll be getting my pioneer system with gps installed instead. Saves me some time wasting and money having to do 2 installs!!

A good decision I believe. As posted the newer systems are quite a bit better, but all the integrated software is quite complicated and made to be bot as a package, and probably would cause migrains if tampered with. As I stated there is a completely separate manual for the 2007 nav system which covers radio,climate controls and a multitude of other items along with navigation. I can't imagine the cost to have repairs made to it.