1993 LS400 Wipers stopped working

Rusty

I started my car today and the wipers made one pass then stopped completely in the down position.  I thought they may be frozen since it was about 21 degrees (F) and snowing today.They were not frozen and I can manually move them slightly with my hand. I cleared all the snow and ice, so they are free to move.  The washer does not work also.  I replaced the 20 amp fuse with a new one, no change. I can not hear the wiper motor going, so I don't believe the linkage has come loose.

I do not know where the wiper relay is located, or if there is one. Is there a way to test the motor with a meter? Does anyone have any suggestions how I can troubleshoot the system?

I would first fool a bit with the switch, maybe the cold is affecting it. Since it did the park the wipers home thing, I would suspect either the switch or there could be a control box for them as well I don't have my books handy to look. It is like they are on a long time delay.

I have tried jiggling the switch/arm around, but no response. The washer does not spray water.  I would have assumed the washer was on a separate circuit from the wiper arm movement.  Do you know if the washer runs through the same Control Module as the wipers?  I found a used Control Module (pn 85940-50070) on e-bay but I am hesitant to buy a used part for a 23 year old car, since that part is also used. Does anyone have instructions on how to replace the Wiper Control Module?

• 3 weeks later...

I found my problem.  It turned out the fuse was loose in the fuse box.  There was some side to side slop that caused the old fuse and the new one to move enough to break the contact. I tightened up the fuse contacts and it has been working ever since.