camp800

Hello, I just purchased a 1999 LS 400. 74K on the odometer. Paid $5K. One owner.

Problems:

- the body has some dings and dents, a spot of rust around the right, rear wheel-well, rear bumper has a dent, needs a detail on the paint job

- power steering leak

- LCD display on the radio is not reading correct

- only 1 key

Other than that, the car rides and drives like a dream. 

Any advice?

Yeah paid too much for rusted body and problems.  Was the timing belt ever done?  If it was a car driven in salt, then there are likely more rusted areas.

You need to deal with the leak, and get another key. Don't wait too long to do a timing belt.  The low miles are nice but it has some problems.

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. If the power steering pump is leaking fix that ASAP so it doesn't take out your alternator. You can fix the body damage at your leisure as it won't affect drivability. There is a guy that can fix your lcd, just "Google Lexus lcd fix" and you should be able to find him. I would also make changing the timing belt a priority. Flush ALL fluids so you are starting with a clean slate unless you know that they have been changed already. You can sign up for a free membership at the Lexus drivers website and put the Vin #of the car in there and if it has been serviced at the Lexus dealership all records will show up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forums, and take good care of your lexus and keep sharing your experience

On 2/7/2016 at 1:57 AM, sha4000 said:

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. If the power steering pump is leaking fix that ASAP so it doesn't take out your alternator. You can fix the body damage at your leisure as it won't affect drivability. There is a guy that can fix your lcd, just "Google Lexus lcd fix" and you should be able to find him. I would also make changing the timing belt a priority. Flush ALL fluids so you are starting with a clean slate unless you know that they have been changed already. You can sign up for a free membership at the Lexus drivers website and put the Vin #of the car in there and if it has been serviced at the Lexus dealership all records will show up. 

Craig

I registered there, lots of information i can see there of my car (up until the year 2000) keeping in mind that the car is now 18 years old now and the car is exported to Abu Dhabi.. the only thing I wanted to know who the owner was i was able to see a name "Leo Markarian" i dont know whether this person is the owner or not... but he maintained the vehicle in the best way possible, that is the only reason why it is shining now

98 lexus- from left.jpg

98 lexus- from right.jpg

• 1 month later...

i concur with the power steering leak taking out your alternator. That correlation certainly was the case for my 95 LS400.

from what i hear the most likely cause of the leak is the O ring that seals the connection between the power steering fluid container, and the pump that it goes directly into, which is fortunately not too advanced of a DYI job and the part isn't expensive. thats the best i can say on that though.

Also welcome and congrats. I myself sure wish to upgrade to a 98-00 ls400 for the new features and engine power that was added.