1992 LS400 air conditioning kit

wuzzy1

Gents/Ladies?:

The AC compressor in my beautiful burgandy 1992 LS400 puked, so I purchased an entire AC Kit which includes the compressor, drier, expansion device, oil, o-rings, and system flush. My "ACE" mechanic who has kept me going for the last 12 years has cancer/surgery, and I can't ask him to help me anymore. He tells me that since the compressor puked, the entire system needs to be flushed and parts replaced. He said most mechanical shops will not change the AC Expansion device which is located in a difficult space inside the firewall below the glove box, and if they don't replace the expansion device, that any trash or pieces of metal shavings left in the old expansion device will destroy the new compressor in weeks. He said that the area where the expansion device is located is filled with wires and connections and that if the new mechanic I find to repair the system isn't top flight and know's what he is doing, all of the car's wiring could be compromised, thus ruining the car. I've had 4 quotes on replacing the system, $300, $390, $500 and $700, but none of these mechanic's have ever done a 1992 Lexus LS400. So my question to the group is...DOES ANYONE HAVE THE DIRECTIONS, OR KNOW WHERE TO FIND THE DIRECTIONS, IN REPLACING THE AC EXPANSION DEVICE ON A 1992 LEXUS LS400?

Wow that all sounds pretty cheap for prices. I'm not sure how to get to it, but I know there are also some O rings on that evaporator that should also be replaced as well as cleaning it real good. And if you are going that deep then the heater core should be checked out real good by a top flight radiator shop, and rebuilt or what ever. I have studied at a wrecking yard that area, and it looks very nasty. To me it would be easier to do an engine removal and install than dealing with that ac and heater system. I'm sure at some point I will be doing it. I would think the price to do that would be more in the 2000 range maybe a bit less, It looks like a 20 hour job or more for someone that is an expert at these cars.

Something else to clean and or fix too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIAV8LY52ZE

Its the only Toyota evaporator flic I could find and turn down the volume some crappy music or noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJM-VXKQNRE

And does it look like fun??????

And then you or the tech gets it all together and there is a leak. Wow, that guy should slow down a bit.

Thanks Washington Bob for your reply.

The second video you posted did want you intended it to do...scare me!

I'm baffled that I've been unable to find anything on the internet on how to replace the expansion valve.

Luckily I'm in no hurry.

Yeah doesn't look like fun, if you do go at it, take pictures and drawings and notes, bag the bolts so they go back and in the proper place. Maybe get some small tags to tie on electrical connectors, yeah they pretty much stay in the location and have certain sizes that only fit what they are suppose to, but still helps to tag them. Even tag things like brackets etc. I'm sure there are lots of so called professionals working at lightning speed that have a hand full of parts and screws etc. left over after the job. I like to keep it like the factory did it.

Bob, I dont know if it for any particular auto, it is just showing all the AC components in the dash (modern times)

in the 50's & 60's I taught AC, as it got popular in cars

and yes these items will be there (modern times)

I'm sure you know all this, but it is free..

comp pumps gas to condenser/ becomes a liquid to exp valve /becomes a energy absorbing gas again and is sucked back to comp.

BillyDPowell and Exhaustgases thank you for your replies.

Well fella's, the issue is resolved to the tune of $1000.00

I bought the 1992 Lexus LS400 12 years ago from a North Georgia mountain Baptist preacher/ace mechanic who said, "This is the car for you Wussy. Drive it for the weekend", and he handed me the keys. I've owned about 10-15 cars in my lifetime, several new, but had never driven a car as smooth and pleasurable as the LS400. The following Monday I bought the car from the preacher for $5000. Since that time, outside of tires, brakes, one alternator, an $800 country boy pro paint job, and last year $500 for a complete tune-up, water pump, timing belt, idlers, etc, I haven't spent much money on the car over 12 years. So, I spent $400 for the air conditioner kit, and had a Chrysler dealer in Blue Ridgeperform the work for $600. Blowing cold and good to go for another 80,000 miles. Best dang car I've ever owned!

And fella's, hang in there, because I'll be back asking for advice in the future.

Thanks again, long life, good health to all.