My mom is drives a 2013 LS460. She's a young 79 and pretty healthy. The other day she was pulling out of a parallel parking spot and rear-ended the car in front of her. There was a fair amount of damage indicating a pretty decent impact.

She is not 100% sure what happened as she was pretty shaken (mentally) by the incident. But she said something about either the car not stopping and/or surging forward. My initial thought was she had tried to step on the brake and hit the wrong pedal, but she SWEARS that was not the case.

I've done some research online and seen that there have been issues with this brand and hesitation on acceleration, etc. I'm curious if this incident may be tied to that or any other known lexus issues.

Any and all input on this will be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting in as much as I've been researching do's & don'ts of possible tuning options for my 460 (not that it needs anything as I love her as she is ) but one of the options I've seen from a supplier called Tom's is a Throttle Response Improver for LS430 & 460.

With this in mind after clocking up 80k miles over the last 7 years in my 460 I'm not sure the item mentioned is anything more than a solution looking for an application. Over the years I've made many motoring mistakes (buying Jaguar being my biggest) but in all honesty Lexus has been my best & I still love the complete package she gives me today, fact, I will let go of my Aston before I let my LS go!!!. As with all automatics I've driven there isn't that initial millisecond rush of power when you hit the accelerator but given its starts to move even with traction control 'on' the rear tyres squeal as I pull out into the main stream of traffic. Slamming one's foot on the floor will very much give you the surge you mentioned & is probably responsible for the damage you described.

• 1 year later...

Recently leased a 2013 LS460 with under 10K miles.  I have now experienced 5 or 6 episodes sudden and hard acceleration when breaking to a stop.  The car has been to the dealer three times and found nothing and  each time they blamed something other than a malfunction with the car. In fact the strongly implied it was driver error?  I have been driving for many years and in fact have three other cars and have never experienced anything like this.  Now today, just a while ago I had another episode and had to put the car in  part to stop!

I am out of ideas, other than to park the car at the dealer!

Any suggestions?

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 3:41 PM, MikesMom said:

My mom is drives a 2013 LS460. She's a young 79 and pretty healthy. The other day she was pulling out of a parallel parking spot and rear-ended the car in front of her. There was a fair amount of damage indicating a pretty decent impact.

She is not 100% sure what happened as she was pretty shaken (mentally) by the incident. But she said something about either the car not stopping and/or surging forward. My initial thought was she had tried to step on the brake and hit the wrong pedal, but she SWEARS that was not the case.

I've done some research online and seen that there have been issues with this brand and hesitation on acceleration, etc. I'm curious if this incident may be tied to that or any other known lexus issues.

Any and all input on this will be appreciated.

Same thing happens to me, but fortunately not while I was parking.  The 6 or 7 occurrences happen when stopping to make a left turn!  Just before a complete stop, the car suddenly and strongly accelerated/

• 1 month later...

Nearly all cases of sudden/unintended acceleration have been found to be driver error.  No production car's engines can overcome their braking system. Rare cases of floor mats sticking on top of the accelerator have been reported which is why all manufacturers now have floor mat hooks/clips.  I suspect you mother did hit the accelerator  and just didn't realize it (I've done it myself).

I think this reflash was to improve hesitation on acelleration.  What his mother described sounded more like unintended acelleration.

• 2 years later...

After many exhaustive attempts to get any satisfaction from anybody from Lexus, including Lexus Financial, I returned my leased (without buying) my Lexus LS460, with only 28K miles.

Yes, unintended acceleration is real.  The problem is that it is intermittent and cannot be duplicated on command.  Therefore it cannot be fixed without doing a complete replacement of all interconnected hardware in the loop.  Lexus  has stonewalled every attempt I have made to correct this malfunction.

Do not purchase a Lexus LS460 with vin JTHCL5EF605019464.

Time will prove me right!!!!!

22 minutes ago, userflw said:

Time will prove me right!!!!!

Sorry you didn't figure the issue out but I still believe all instances of this (in any car) can be traced to the driver.  "No production car's engines can overcome their braking system."  This is an absolute (and the basis of dragster starts for fastest 1/4 mile times)!

• Like 1

I've had this happen with different vehicles and each time either me hitting the accelerator instead of the brake or stepping on both at the same time and the vehicle stopping veryyyyy slowly until I released the accelerator.